• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

OOPS/Voltage Regulator Question

91xjtim

NAXJA Forum User
Had an oops this morning. A screwdriver fell in between the fan and the radiator(Was preventing the fan from spinning). In pulling the thing out I put a pretty decent size hole in it and coolant spewed out. Drove it straight home(<2miles). However, about 1/2 way home I noticed voltage gauge was really low, then it went to zero. Got home and saw the coolant spewing all over the alternator. I was told that the voltage regulator is inside the computer(I didnt know this, I thought it was inside the alternator). Anyone know?

I'm not sure, but odds are your belt was slipping pretty bad with the antifreeze... I would run some water over things to rinse them good, then try it after fixing the radiator... Everything should be ok, alternators see water quite often, and antifreeze shouldn't do anything different...

That would depend....

First thing I'd do is to clean out the alternator - a good spray electrical cleaner should serve. This might free up whatever the antifreeze could be sticking up in there (it happens...)

Second, clean the belt while you're about it. Slippage will definitely not help alternator output...

Third - what year is your rig? I'm going off your moniker for the moment, and assuming it's a 1991 - but I don't know if you have several or not (I do - all RENIX.) Prior to 1991, the alternator used was a Delco CS-series, with an inbuilt regulator at the back of the case. For 1991 and up, a Nippondenso alternator was used, with an external regulator - for some strange reason, ChryCo decided that the regulator was best built into the SBEC control unit. (No, I don't know why they did that, either.)

The Delco regulators are replaceable - but since you have to pull the alternator to take it to bits, it's usually just as easy to change the whole damn thing - you're there anyhow.

5-90

I have a 97, I gave the 91 to my neice. I am mainly worried about having killed the ECM(Which from what I understand has the voltage regulator in it) Thank you in advance!

Back