• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Popping noise in the rear

kyfreeride04

NAXJA Forum User
I have 99 xj w/ a 3in lift w/ AAL and no sways. I also use this as a daily driver. Whenever i make sharp right turns i hear this popping noise from the right rear. Its like the sound of popping a dent out of a piece of sheet metal or a metal bottle cap (for ex: a snapple cap). I was thinking the no sways may have something to do with it, but not sure. Any advice on what this problem is?

do you have extended shackles? if so, check that the shackle isn't contacting the bumper bolt in the rear of the shackle when compressed. my shackles did at times until I trimmed them.

Last edited:
My stocker (still has both sways) does the same, more on LH turns but sometimes on RH too, more when it's cold out. I think it's the bar pins, and hope it's not the shock mount crossmember/floor. Hasn't done it in a week since it warmed up, but I have a set of BPE's going in soon just in case.
I kinda got used to it after a while, started expecting that "p-DUNK" every time I wheeled around a lefty.
Hope this helps...

sounds like your rubbing something. be sure to check both the front and rear fenders. just because it sounds like its coming from the rear isn't a guarantee...

kyfreeride04 said:
I checked the shocks and they were all tightend. Still have no clue what the problem is.

The top mounts can be tight, but the problem is not the tightness of the bolts, but the fit between the rubber bushing and the steel eye of the shock body at the top of the shock. Because the bushing is free to move a bit along the barpin, the bushing can slip in the eye a bit- especially when you quickly cycle it from compression to rebound.

I'm still procrastinating on the BPE's, now I have shocks to go on too. I started hosing everything down Saturday with PBlaster in anticipation of my lift install- now it makes the noise both left and right, all the time.

Cheers,
Tom

Back