• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

No Pedal after 9"/44 swap

BIG98XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I know this is a common problem and most people recomend swapping an E350 master cylinder. The weird thing is that the guy who I bought the axles from had them under his XJ and he got the brakes stopping good with alot of pedal. (stock front and rear brakes) Ive bled them numerous times and ways, cant get any pedal at all. The other thing is that when the pedal is pumped to get a little bit of pressure, air bubbles start comming out out of the master cylinder when I let offthe pedal. Is this a sign that the master cylinder is bad? My XJ is a 92....

eplain why the brakes worked fine under his xj and not mine:dunno:

I had the same prob
bleed the rears
then bleed them some more, then one more time bleed them. then go to the fronts. then bleed again........

Mine is on a 98 but I had to bleed them a lot just to get them to work. But they now lock up 35's.

you could have lower quality lines allowing for flex when braking power is applied... your best option would be to use as much hard line as possible if you are not already doing so... Had a similar problem on a 79 FJ40 Landcruiser and it wouldn't stop straight b/c one sides flex line was longer than the other and it was all jacked up... so just a thought you may wanna check... depending on if his had the tow package or not it may also have had a better master cyliner????

After 1995, XJ's got a double diaphragm brake booster. Changing to this upgraded booster might give you some more stopping power.

Although, if there is air in your lines, there's really nothing that will make any difference. Your best bet would be to do like Brian said, and bleed the brakes until you're positive all the air is out. If the brakes still suck, then you can start replacing/upgrading.

Here's a comparison pic of the older style vs. the newer style brake booster. (courtesy of www.madxj.com)

BRAKE02.jpg

FWIW -

my STOCK 92 booster and ASB brakes lock up 33's with ford 9 drums and d44 discs...

did you make sure the rear drums were adjusted properly? I had that issue and thought I needed a new MC and stuff... turns out the drums werent adjusted at all...

thanks for all the info guys, but I realized what I had done worng. I had wrong calipers on the wrong sides, the bleeder valve was not at the top of the caliper. So all the air was up at the top. After I swapped sides and the bleeder was up top, bled all 4, and bam pedal! Drive it around a bit, and feels awesome!:yelclap:

Back