• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

TPS price

jeepboy381

NAXJA Forum User
So I am pricing out a new Throttle position sensor for my 1987, 5 speed, 4.0 and the lowest I can find it is $85.00!!!! What a rip off, the oxygen sensor cost half that. Will a TPS for an automatic work for my 5 speed because for somereason it is cheaper even though it is more complex and has more wires! Does anyone have an idea where I can buy one for a 5 speed for reasonable price? Any help appriciated, thanks a million. Anyone have a used one that works.

Awright - quit yer yammer! I had to get one for my 88 5-speed last month, and it cost me $130! If I wasn't in a hurry for it, I'd have pillaged around online and found one - I'll probably do it anyhow, just to have a spare.

I'd have taken $85 in a heartbeat... Damn, there are times I hate living in Silicone Valley (no, that's not a typo... So many people here are just so damn fake...)

5-90

Man that really sucks, I made probably 10 phone calls and the most expensive was $110.00 dollars. Well I was hoping there was some magic place that sold the sensor for a reasonable price but I must be dreaming. Thrifty Auto Supply quted me $83.99 for all that are interested. Don't know if they charge the same proces at all stores but I got the price from the Gresham Oregon location. Thanks

hey jeepboy, I know u tried EBAY right? I am not sure about anything earlier than my '91 but I swapped out my sensors trying to find a problem with mine not running right. So I don't know what's wrong with mine, still not runnin but I think it wasn't the sensors i replaced so hell if you find out they will fit yours lemme know you can have it. Check around to make sure, I mean you won't be out anything but I am not positive any of my sensors will fit your tb. I mean a new tps sensor was 37 and my IAC I found for 39 and now I have the oem ones as spares, unless u want em if they fit, lemme know.

I got a new TPS at a 4x4 shop in FL and paid $90. That was the price the shop paid, I only know because I was standing there when the owner signed the slip from the delivery dude. TPS's don't like H20 either so if you get a good deal I would pick up a couple...hahhahahha

I have heard you can use the automatic TPS, I tend to think that's true.

At my local pick & pull junkyard you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a junked XJ. When I need parts that's where I go. A '87 isn't worth spending upward of a hundred bucks for a little sensor. When I needed one I bought that plus a whole bag of other misc small parts for ten bucks. That's part of the enjoyment I get from my Jeep. No worry something expensive is going to break. With so many junked ones in the yards, there are no expensive parts.

Lawsoncl, If your TPS would work on a 90 xj with the AW4, I could definitely use it. My Jeep is sitting and waiting for a TPS... and yours would be very affordable for me.

Cool. If that deal falls through, give me a PM and I'll take it. My 88 with the five-speed is the oddball, and I don't have spares for it on the "special" stuff.

Did someone confirm, tho, that the auto TPS would work with a stick? I'm not seeing it here (I may be missing it,) or I read it somewhere else. I'd be inclined to think so - I seem to recall that both ECM's were the same - perhaps I should check Hollander's?

5-90

I'll let you know if the deal falls through. I did an ax15->aw4 swap a while back and I can confirm that the auto TPS plugs right into the manual wiring harness. The wiring on the second TPS connector goes directly to the TCM. I'm pretty sure the Renix ECMs are the same for the auto/manual as there are no connections from the TCM or the NSS to the ECM.

Back