• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

alternator help!!!!

jbrown87

NAXJA Forum User
well my alternator quit out on me today, so i'm in the process of me changing it now,,,the damn thing won't come out, i took the bolts that are connecting it to the brackets out, and it won't budge,,i tried searching but no help,,,,any suggestions..tia

jason

This might be a dumb question, but you did disconnect the battery, wires going to the alt, and remove the belt right?

It's probably stuck. There are two bolts holding it in, one long one on the bottom and one short one on top. If they're both removed, get a prybar or big screwdriver in there and pry it out towards the passenger side.

jbrown87 said:
got it out,,,pain in the ass though,,,now new is all shiny!!
HAHA let me guess...you're working on a RENIX Jeep aren't ya? Mine wasn't a pain to get out but I pulled about 3 of the threads with one of the bolts and then the new one was a PITA to put in the bracket because it had a thicker coat of paint than the OEM one did. Fun stuff huh?

yeah, they made the bracket so that the original alternator fit in there precisely. Its almost as if they used a press to put it in there. I replaced mine with a new one that wasn't painted and still had to give it a little umph to get it in there. my buddy replaced his with a big black shiny alternator he got from a local parts store, and we had to slightly 'modify' the bracket to get it in there. Thank God for files!

Back