• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

loud Knock at full crank of steering wheel

Lowdown

NAXJA Forum User
Fellow Forum members,

I have a 98 with 2" coil spacers on front, and nothing more at this point. When I am stopped, and I turn the wheel to the left a single loud pop or knock occurs. It sounds (and feels) like it is coming from under my feet. I suspect the track bar, but would like some second, and third opinions.

Thanks,

Erik

I used to have a problem similar to that. Founn out it was the T-bar bracket, I believe. The damn bolts were loose...

Sounds like it is from under your feet? hmmm My front brakes do that b/c they are all worn out.

I did my brakes not too long ago. I think that is appears to come from under my feet because the sound travels along the frame rails; i think... What do people think of a beefed-up aftermarket track bar stabilizer (i believe rusty's makes one)?

do some searching around here and you will find out that Rusty's in not that high in quality. i have seen pics of alot of there stuff broke. If you feel the need to go to a heavy duty trackbar and bracket look at the Rubicon Express stuff. however i believe almost all aftermarket trackbars are designed for al least 4" of lift, so they will be too long for you.

Now with that said, remember that Unibody vehicles have a nasty way of transmitting sound, so just because you hear it in one spot doesn't mean it actually comes from there. they way to help find the source is to have someone (preferable with some automotive knowledge) stand outside the vehicle while you recreate the noise. but just from your description i would start by checking the bolts on the trackbar like IcedXJ said. then looking toward tie rods first, then ball joints, and finally all the control arm problem, i would pull the steering box loose, you don't have to pull it all the way out jsut take out the bolts and check the aluminum spacer that fits between the frame and the box. these are known to crack and sometimes fall out.

Dingo

Back