• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Opinion needed for 5150 shocks

cardboard

NAXJA Forum User
My sons jeep is in need of front shocks so he has decided to put Bilstein 5150's on it. The xj is a 91 4.0 auto with a RK longarm 4.5" lift and 33 swampers. My question is which size should I go with, because at the moment the Jeep is sitting at almost 6" of lift so I dont know whether to put on the 10" or 12" travel shocks. Any input would be appreciated so we can get these ordered and installed soon.
Thanx Digger

stuff the suspension, measure
flex the suspension, measure

do some light math
order
;)

take the shocks that came with the RK kit measure them and find the closest 5150. You will need a shock adapter for the fronts which adds a little over an inch of extended legnth.

jeepme said:
take the shocks that came with the RK kit measure them and find the closest 5150. You will need a shock adapter for the fronts which adds a little over an inch of extended legnth.
You can purchase stud mount tops for them.... Bilstein part # 192228. Gets back that inch you lost.

JohnX said:
You can purchase stud mount tops for them.... Bilstein part # 192228. Gets back that inch you lost.
From who??? I called e shocks and they had no such thing. Is this a Bilstein only part.

I have the 10 inch travel on mine, and they are perfect for shortarms. Now that I have longarms, I am looking to get some 15"+ travel shocks. I would at least go with the 12's or try to fit the 14's and just bumpstop it. Also, I am very pleased with the way the shocks ride and handle.

I ran the 12" version on my old XJ but I had to lower the lower shock mount by about an inch to prevent mashing the shock when I stuffed the tire.

digger4u said:
My sons jeep is in need of front shocks so he has decided to put Bilstein 5150's on it. The xj is a 91 4.0 auto with a RK longarm 4.5" lift and 33 swampers. My question is which size should I go with, because at the moment the Jeep is sitting at almost 6" of lift so I dont know whether to put on the 10" or 12" travel shocks. Any input would be appreciated so we can get these ordered and installed soon.
Thanx Digger

You're safe with the 10", I wouldn't get the 12" without first flexing it to the max and measuring. Keep in mind that it's likely the suspension will compress slightly more on a hard hit than it will articulating, so it's best to figure at least an inch of shock shaft showing at full stuff when articulated.

Getting a longer shock, and then increasing the bumpstops so it won't bottom out the shock is not a smart move. No sense in getting a longer shock to increase travel, then limiting travel to not damage the shock. Ideally, you'll use nearly all of the shock travel both up and down.

If you run the 10" travel ones, you will not see any increased travel from your longarms. They match perfectly with shortarms and 4.5". Also, by lengthening your bumpstops you can run a larger tire, or keep your current tires out of the fenders more, and have a suspension system with a few inches of compression and loads of droop.

85cherokeechief said:
Also, by lengthening your bumpstops you can run a larger tire, or keep your current tires out of the fenders more,

Trim. I run 37's and the bumpstops keep my axle off the frame. :)

85cherokeechief said:
Also, by lengthening your bumpstops you can.............have a suspension system with a few inches of compression and loads of droop.

And why would you want that? :dunno:

Back