• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tow hook bracket Q?

"Mambeu" what is the bracket bolted to? can you see the hooks from up front or are they hidden behind the bumper? just tryin to picture it visually.

ReddXJ said:
"Mambeu" what is the bracket bolted to? can you see the hooks from up front or are they hidden behind the bumper? just tryin to picture it visually.
You can see the hooks from the front. They look like this when mounted (click for full-size):

I personally feel that if you're going to put tow hooks one use the OEM kit or one that is similiar. I do not like the ohter hook kits that haven been posted to this thread so far, particularly the first ones - those are deadly.

This is a complete OEM tow hook kit - all these parts are crucial including the braces and angle iron bracing (those are the two parts most aftermarket kits leave out):
20060408-oemtowhooks.jpg

I agree. The brackets were designed with multiple parts for a reason. It helps protect the unibody frame. I could not get my hands on a set of Mopar Brackets for my 2000 XJ so I got the Custom 4X4 kit. It is strong and made of 1/4 inch steel. They mount just like the OEM brackets do.
Alex

towhookbrackets.jpg

4X4TowHooks.jpg

GSequoia said:
I personally feel that if you're going to put tow hooks one use the OEM kit or one that is similiar. I do not like the ohter hook kits that haven been posted to this thread so far, particularly the first ones - those are deadly.
Agreed. Those Tomken brackets are NOTHING like the OEM brackets. I wouldn't trust them, and I recommend that you avoid them like the plague.

2000XJSPORT said:
I agree. The brackets were designed with multiple parts for a reason. It helps protect the unibody frame. I could not get my hands on a set of Mopar Brackets for my 2000 XJ so I got the Custom 4X4 kit. It is strong and made of 1/4 inch steel. They mount just like the OEM brackets do.
Alex

towhookbrackets.jpg

4X4TowHooks.jpg
I had a set very similar to these mounted up. Bent the brackets with one good strap tug, and bent the other with the strap on both hooks and a winch attached. It was a partial side pull, but didn't expect as much bend as I got! Their now off, and I've got an ARB with reinforced mounts....
I've no experience with factory bracketry, and agree the earlier pics don't look as good as these (that bent) or the factory set up. Yanking points should not be skimped on. Safety first....:sunshine:

i can get a set of factory hooks for nothing, but haven't been able to find just the brackets for sale...can only find complete kits. anyone have advice or should i just spend the cash and get a whole package deal?

thanks guys...i figured the el'cheapos would not last long...buddy and are planning on trailing soon and i need to get ready. his wrangler is setup to trail but mine is getting there slowly...thanks again

Back