• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

how much should a leakdown test cost?

Assuming that you have an air compressor, I'll bet a leak down tester would cost less than paying someone to do the test.

I have on-board air (sanden compressor), can you do the test with the engine running? If not, will a 2 gallon tank at 125psi be enough for the test?

Can you get the tester at any old parts store? I still have no idea how much:confused: ?

last, are the results from testing it myself hard to read/interpret/understand?

thanks
brett

If you have an advanced auto parts near you go and get a compresion tester. They are about $20 and do a wet and dry compresion test. That is what I did. It showed that my rings were going bad. Three of 4 pistons were at 100psi. They are supose to be at around 140-150 for the 4 popper!
That kit has a hose that links the spark plug adapter to the pressure gague. The end of that hose will hook to a compressor hose to do the leak down test. HTH.

You'll need a real compressor to do a leak down test. It's not done with the engine running. The cylinder being tested has to be at TDC. The little tank might get you by. I think I've seen the tester for $60-$80. I made my own, but I already had a pressure regulator. You can google for more information if you have further interest. If you're just trying to find out where you are loosing efficiency, you can just pressurize the cylinder when it's at TCD and listen in the tail pipe, intake manifold, and oil filler to see where it's leaking. I did both a compression test and leak down test recently. The compression test didn't look too bad; however, the leak down test told me that my #1 cylinder was about half the efficient as compared to the other cylinders.

Back