• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NP242 Chain Replacement

Justin Graham

NAXJA Forum User
What's involved in replacing the chain in a np242? My chain is streched and slipping and I'm wondering how tedious of a task is it to replace it. Searched the archives and couldn't find anything.

Thanks,
Justin

It's pretty easy. Call the dealer and get the two cogs that the chain rides on, replace them while you're at it. They're probably worn and contributing to the chain's slack.

You'll need snap ring pliers and a dremel or die grinder. The repair can be done with the case still in the vehicle, but you'll be on back for a while if you don't have access to a lift.

You'll need the dremel if you have a 96 or up to remove the dust slinger on the output shaft. Then there is a bunch of snap rings holding all the guts together.

Not that difficult of a job, just take your time, clean off everything, and remember where it all goes.

--Matt

It isn't the easiest job in the world, but it also isn't too bad. I would recommend getting the master rebuild kit with all of the seals. It isn't too much more work once you tear the thing apart. Get the FSM, or an electronic version. The snap rings can be a real bitch in that thing, so get some good ring pliers.

Back