• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RE radius arm question ???

jeep_87_cherokee

NAXJA Forum User
i am think about useing a long arm front suspension like the RE radius arm setup, i want to run 2 lowers with one upper coming off the lower arm, Which side of the axle would it be better to attach the upper arm to ?? , i can fab a truss for either side, but which side would be better to have the upper arm attached to.

has any one designed/used a "extended sized" upper arm that mounts further back than the factory uppers ??? , i was thinking RockKrawler had some sort of a setup like this but i wasnt for sure.

Would any one recomend running long arm lowers and useing RE adjustable upper in the factory position ???? would it still flex good ?

i'm going to (*try to*) run 8" of lift with the dana30 (*if it last*) on a 1987 cherokee,

thanks , Luke

i run the Clayton radius arm set up. for street driving i run both uppers, but for wheeling i remove the passenger side upper. i prefer to run the driver side upper as a single because the mount is cast into the center section. the other side is just a formed steel bracket. it's hard to explain but i'll try.
i noticed when i was doing the install that when i had both lowers and one upper attatched and moved the axle thru some articulating motion by lifting one side up and down. i left the other upper attached to the lower but not the axle, leaving it laying alongside the mount. with the axle movement the housing takes on a "twisting" sort of motion and i watched the relationship of the mount and the unattached arm. and it showed that the way the mount would move was making the upper arm appear to be either too long or too short, depending on if the axle was moved up or down. this is with one side moving up and down, NOT equally lifting both sides. i saw that as an incredible amount of force being exerted on the upper mounts. so 1 upper loosens it up to articulate without binding on itself.

i hope you understood that.... i never took any pics.

you want o get trick you can do what Bronco drivers have been doing for some time now and make the axle tube wristed.

wah03.gif

so which setup would you guys prefer ?

so still has ne seen a design where the upper was moved further back than the factory upper position for a long arm setup ???

does ne one run their lower long arms with the uppers mounted in the factoy spot? would that work on 8" of lift? , but i still want it to flex well...

thanks

Running a single upper on a radius arm style suspension yields dramatically different anti-dive numbers depending on which side is articulated. You will have to adjust your driving a bit to get used to it.

If you do it, make sure to use solid joints everywhere, or the housing will be flopping all over the place under full power assaults.

I think you are better off staying with an RE radius arm style, with two uppers. That setup has more flex, and more BALANCED flex, than any coil spring you'll likely find in the front of an XJ.

Back