• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

High-Output

Chero-King

NAXJA Forum User
The only difference between the High-output 4L and the stock 4L is the intake right? thats what I was told, and I'm going to pick up the high-output intake on the weekend, how much more of a gain should I excpect with it on? And it should be a direct bolt on right?

Sorry for asking so many questions.

The main difference between the RENIX and HO engines, mechanically, is in the head casting. The HO (1991-up) cylinder head raised the intake port runner floors slightly (about 1/2", as I recall,) to allow for a reduced angle into the cylinder.

The 1991-up cylinder head and the 1987-1990 intake are vaguely compatible, with some work (I don't recall the details.)

If you have a 1991-up engine, say, 1991-1995, and and 1996-up intake, there's less work involved - I think they're directly compatible (but don't hold me to it at the moment...)

It would help if you would pass on some more specific information, just to be sure... I don't much care to guess, as you've probably figured by now (if you haven't, take a look over some of my posts sometime...)

5-90

Chero-King said:
The only difference between the High-output 4L and the stock 4L is the intake right? thats what I was told, and I'm going to pick up the high-output intake on the weekend, how much more of a gain should I excpect with it on? And it should be a direct bolt on right?

Sorry for asking so many questions.
That's really not the only difference, there are many more, such as 5-90 stated. It is I suppose a direct bolt on but your throttle position sensor and fuel lines are going to have to be changed. You're going to have to somehow either adapt your TPS to the new style TB or change the wiring all around which would be a major PITA I would think.

5-90 said:
The main difference between the RENIX and HO engines, mechanically, is in the head casting. The HO (1991-up) cylinder head raised the intake port runner floors slightly (about 1/2", as I recall,) to allow for a reduced angle into the cylinder.

The 1991-up cylinder head and the 1987-1990 intake are vaguely compatible, with some work (I don't recall the details.)

If you have a 1991-up engine, say, 1991-1995, and and 1996-up intake, there's less work involved - I think they're directly compatible (but don't hold me to it at the moment...)

It would help if you would pass on some more specific information, just to be sure... I don't much care to guess, as you've probably figured by now (if you haven't, take a look over some of my posts sometime...)

5-90

SOrry, I know I was a little vague,I was in a bit of a rush.

The intake is coming out of an '88HO blown engine And going into my 88' with an '87 engine that I'm rebuilding, if that makes sense. :D
I was told by the buddy I'm getting it from that it would be a bolt in, and I've know him a while and trust him, considering he works at one of the biggest parts shops in all of BC, but anyways, why wouldnt my TPS be the same?

Chero-King said:
SOrry, I know I was a little vague,I was in a bit of a rush.

The intake is coming out of an '88HO blown engine And going into my 88' with an '87 engine that I'm rebuilding, if that makes sense. :D
I was told by the buddy I'm getting it from that it would be a bolt in, and I've know him a while and trust him, considering he works at one of the biggest parts shops in all of BC, but anyways, why wouldnt my TPS be the same?

There was no HO engine in 1988. HO did not start till 1991. Anything 4.0L below 1991 will interchange with no modification.

Tally_XJ said:
There was no HO engine in 1988. HO did not start till 1991. Anything 4.0L below 1991 will interchange with no modification.

I swear Im losing it lol I knew it was a '91, and I still typed '88.
Thanks for catching that,but anyways, SO your saying its a direct bolt in to my engine? If so, what should I excpect in power gains as in...torque, just a little more off the line or a noticable increase?
I've never driven a HO before but I've heard they're pretty damn fast for a straight 6, although I know it wont be the same on mine considering its riding on 33's.

I would have to say that anything HO is NEVER a direct bolt on to anything RENIX. It is possible to do, and some of it is easier than some of the other stuff, but they are just two different designs.

The intake and exhaust manifolds CAN be bolted onto the RENIX cylinder head. The HO cylinder head can be bolted onto the RENIX bottom end as well. That would be the best solution. Then, your intake and exhaust would bolt right up and you would get the newer throttle body as well. The problem then will be in the TPS, MAP and coolant temp sensors. They dont match up and some have to be modified and/or wires lengthened.

Power gain is minimal in what I have read. Maybe not even worth the trouble. If you want more power, and I mean REALLY more power, do a search for "stroker" and look into that. It might even be as easy or easier than mixing the two engines together.

Not quite true - the head can be readily swapped onto the block, but the throttle bodies are also different (the HO uses a four-bolt, rather like the Mustang 302, while the RENIX uses a 3-bolt setup,) and I'm thinking the throttle linkage is on the opposite side as well - but I can't swear to it. I'm fairly sure it's possible to make an adapter plate to go back and forth - but I haven't done so just yet.

Are you doing this to address a problem, or just on account of 'cause? If it's the latter, it's going to be a case of a lot of work for very little gain - just because you open up the intake manifold, you'll still have the restriction in the cylinder head that won't be addressed. The RENIX head does not have a significant difference in flow numbers between a bare head and a head with the manifold on.

I'd not think it would be worth the effort just to swap the manifolds - if you were taking the head as well, it would be a possibility (but you'd still only see a little gain - you'll note more with the "butt dyno" than a chassis dyno, I'd think...)

5-90

5-90 said:
Not quite true - the head can be readily swapped onto the block, but the throttle bodies are also different (the HO uses a four-bolt, rather like the Mustang 302, while the RENIX uses a 3-bolt setup,) and I'm thinking the throttle linkage is on the opposite side as well - but I can't swear to it. I'm fairly sure it's possible to make an adapter plate to go back and forth - but I haven't done so just yet.

Are you doing this to address a problem, or just on account of 'cause? If it's the latter, it's going to be a case of a lot of work for very little gain - just because you open up the intake manifold, you'll still have the restriction in the cylinder head that won't be addressed. The RENIX head does not have a significant difference in flow numbers between a bare head and a head with the manifold on.

I'd not think it would be worth the effort just to swap the manifolds - if you were taking the head as well, it would be a possibility (but you'd still only see a little gain - you'll note more with the "butt dyno" than a chassis dyno, I'd think...)

5-90

I'm doing just 'cause, mainly because my engine is completely torn apart, right down to the block, so I figured I'd do it, I'll be putting on a new, higher-flowing exhaust to go with the intake, and doing something with the airbox-not quite sure yet.So I figure it'll all give me a little more power.

Last edited:
Chero-King said:
I'm doing just 'cause, mainly because my engine is completely torn apart, right down to the block, so I figured I'd do it, I'll be putting on a new, higher-flowing exhaust to go with the intake, and doing something with the airbox-not quite sure yet.So I figure it'll all give me a little more power.

You will see no gain in power with just an HO intake. The differences in design are minimal, and you will lose the functionality of your Renix EGR.

Now, if you went to a 99+ manifold, we'd be talking about a little bit of power. Add an HO head and a bored TB and you'd be looking at 15 HP or so.

CRASH said:
You will see no gain in power with just an HO intake. The differences in design are minimal, and you will lose the functionality of your Renix EGR.

Now, if you went to a 99+ manifold, we'd be talking about a little bit of power. Add an HO head and a bored TB and you'd be looking at 15 HP or so.

Yeah...But I'm not JUST putting in the intake, I'll also be putting a higher flowing exhaust, and opening up the airbox. Im looking for another 50 hp out of this, just a little more tourque.

Chero-King said:
Yeah...But I'm not JUST putting in the intake, I'll also be putting a higher flowing exhaust, and opening up the airbox. Im looking for another 50 hp out of this, just a little more tourque.

50 HP? i wish putting an intake and exhaust would give me 50HP. realistically, you are looking at throttle response, 1-3HP and a few extra mpg....worth it? probly. do it, it will be fun and you will learn some stuff. you arent going to get any real power gains with any bolt on mods. i promise.

-tim

Soooo, ok I think I got lost somewhere. Is this a '91 4.0L reg. or a H.O.? And you said you are looking to add the intake off of a H.O. model to your reg eng or what? Maybe this will help a little.I have a '91 H.O. 4.0L sport with a manual and stock it was pretty peppy. I have a big bore TB with a spacer, rusty's tube with K&N large filter, highflow cat and 40 series flowmaster. Recently added accel plugs, 8mm wires and new cap and rotor as well as an accel coil. Now, with these mods I picked up maybe 15-20 HP, maybe. BUT, the midrange torque and throttle response vastly improved, so good trade for me. I was looking into a different intake recently and noted that if you add a later model intake, say 96' up that you will claim about 15 hp. That's at the flywheel prolly, so maybe 7-10 at the wheels depending on any other mods u have. It has more flow almost double in volume. These guys are dead on about the diff in the reg and H.O. models about the head and intake difference, maybe chysler had other things diff as well, don't quote me. But in '96 when they went to OBD II I think, they lost 15 hp or so because of the sensors and the cats and u know environmental crap. HAHA But this website I was looking at places one on a pre-96 without these issues and there u go....easy 15 HP. Umm on the squeezin 50 more horse from this deal....don't lose any sleep ain't gonna happen....unless can u say, supercharger, or stroker? lol You may actually see 40 or so on the computer after installing ALL these things like I have in conjunction with the new head, but as far as real world, to the wheels power, expect a more reasonable 18-25 depends on the condition of your eng and how it takes these. But do expect to be able to tell the difference in power throughout the range and a bit of a mpg bump possibly. Oh, a shot of nos works too if you just gotta have that exact 50-75 hp...haha Good Luck! Hope any of this helps.

titan4u2c said:
Soooo, ok I think I got lost somewhere. Is this a '91 4.0L reg. or a H.O.? And you said you are looking to add the intake off of a H.O. model to your reg eng or what? Maybe this will help a little.I have a '91 H.O. 4.0L sport with a manual and stock it was pretty peppy. I have a big bore TB with a spacer, rusty's tube with K&N large filter, highflow cat and 40 series flowmaster. Recently added accel plugs, 8mm wires and new cap and rotor as well as an accel coil. Now, with these mods I picked up maybe 15-20 HP, maybe. BUT, the midrange torque and throttle response vastly improved, so good trade for me. I was looking into a different intake recently and noted that if you add a later model intake, say 96' up that you will claim about 15 hp. That's at the flywheel prolly, so maybe 7-10 at the wheels depending on any other mods u have. It has more flow almost double in volume. These guys are dead on about the diff in the reg and H.O. models about the head and intake difference, maybe chysler had other things diff as well, don't quote me. But in '96 when they went to OBD II I think, they lost 15 hp or so because of the sensors and the cats and u know environmental crap. HAHA But this website I was looking at places one on a pre-96 without these issues and there u go....easy 15 HP. Umm on the squeezin 50 more horse from this deal....don't lose any sleep ain't gonna happen....unless can u say, supercharger, or stroker? lol You may actually see 40 or so on the computer after installing ALL these things like I have in conjunction with the new head, but as far as real world, to the wheels power, expect a more reasonable 18-25 depends on the condition of your eng and how it takes these. But do expect to be able to tell the difference in power throughout the range and a bit of a mpg bump possibly. Oh, a shot of nos works too if you just gotta have that exact 50-75 hp...haha Good Luck! Hope any of this helps.

Ok first of all thank you, that cleared it up, second, Im putting a 91' HO intake on my 88 Engine. Third, I didnt mean to put "Im looking for 50horses,"...what I meant to say was, "Im NOT looking for 50 horses out of this" just a little more wheel spin, Im not stupid, I know Im not going to get 50 horses from a stock intake.
But anyways....What your saying is, If i put on that intake,higher-flowing exhaust,and an airbox mod, I'll see maybe 10-15hp more?
The exhaust alone will give me 10hp.

Last edited:
Chero-King said:
Ok first of all thank you, that cleared it up, second, Im putting a 91' HO intake on my 88 Engine. Third, I didnt mean to put "Im looking for 50horses,"...what I meant to say was, "Im NOT looking for 50 horses out of this" just a little more wheel spin, Im not stupid, I know Im not going to get 50 horses from a stock intake.

sorry buddy, shoulda given you the benefit of the doubt. good luck its always fun to tinker.

-tim

Hey, umm what exhaust are you using? I mean 10hp alone u think? On a 6cyl? I dunno that's expecting alot bro, on a v-8 maybe. Your gonna get a bump in torque which will feel like a gain in HP but exhaust alone I wouldn't think 10. With a cat, 40 series flow, big filter K&N, rusty's tube, 62mm tb and a spacer I might have got 17-20 total but again real world numbers as in to the wheels maybe 10-13. But like I said there's quite a noticeable difference in the midrange pull and throttle response. The old addage is true with the head swap...the more you flow, the more u pick up, but with this motor there is not much u can do as they are designed like a diesel for torque. Oh, expect a slight bump in mpg if I didn't mention that before, but overal with just the head swap and better exhaust and some good plugs and wires you should do alright. Good luck! Try not to burn thru a set of tires with your new mods. haha.

jesus this sounds like a ricer thread...

intake, header, 2.25" exhaust will get you MAYBE 8-10 hp at the wheels on a renix motor, and thats being generous

swap the 4.0HO head, adapt the TB, bore it to 60mm, and do all the above, youll be good for 25-30 at the wheels

titan4u2c said:
Hey, umm what exhaust are you using? I mean 10hp alone u think? On a 6cyl? I dunno that's expecting alot bro, on a v-8 maybe. Your gonna get a bump in torque which will feel like a gain in HP but exhaust alone I wouldn't think 10. With a cat, 40 series flow, big filter K&N, rusty's tube, 62mm tb and a spacer I might have got 17-20 total but again real world numbers as in to the wheels maybe 10-13. But like I said there's quite a noticeable difference in the midrange pull and throttle response. The old addage is true with the head swap...the more you flow, the more u pick up, but with this motor there is not much u can do as they are designed like a diesel for torque. Oh, expect a slight bump in mpg if I didn't mention that before, but overal with just the head swap and better exhaust and some good plugs and wires you should do alright. Good luck! Try not to burn thru a set of tires with your new mods. haha.

Well I was looking at the 50 series for exhaust, hows the 40 sound? Im looking for something fairly loud, and deep.b

See perf exhaust this coloumn under GT's post. He has some sound clips there. I have the 40 series, throaty nice and mellow and decent at speed. You're not gonna get too deep a snarl from a 4.0 but a 2.25in or more exhaust with an intake and a flowmaster will definitely let you know it's there.

Back