• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

running wires to a roof lightbar?

whatevah

It's Yellah!
wondering how you guys have ran (or seen) wiring to the roof for lights or other items. I'm trying to avoid cutting holes as long as I can, but... :)

I'm putting my lights between the 3/4-lenth stock roof rack and the windshield.

any (on-topic) comments will be appreciated.

When I ran lights to the rear I came out through a hole in the plastic caps in the body at the top of the liftgate. They are used for power to the speakers and license plate and latch and also the washerfluid. You could then run them up inside the roof rack rail to where you want them.

You can put the wiring through a grommet or plug at the top of the B-pillar (behind the front door, or between the side doors on a four-door,) or run it out through the top of the liftgate frame.

Or, you can do what I like to do - get an Amphenol (round, metal shell) connector with a cap, or a CPC (circular plastic connector) - either one should seal against the panel with a gasket, and a little silicone won't go amiss, either.

I like Amphenols, since they're MIL-spec and immersion rated, but I think CPCs carry a MIL as well. Easy way to find out - Allied Electronics carries both, and you should be able to find out from there (www.alliedelec.com, I think.)

Using a connector like an Amphenol or a CPC also offers the advantage of easy disconnection for service, if and when.

5-90

If you look close you can see where I ran my wire out the door and up over the rain gutter...
wcmslc.jpg

I drilled a hole in my roof under my factory roof rack rail, installed a grommet ran the wires through the rail and into the jeep siliconed the hole good to go .
lights008.jpg

lights007.jpg

No pics but I have a 12ga running up the A-pillar under the moulding then I drilled under the roof rack rail cap and siliconed it.

then I got a new roof rack and had to move NMO antennas so I had a spare hole 5/8" and theres all sorts of wires running thru that now; XM different channels of lights and a spare for whatever

bowhunter said:
I drilled a hole in my roof under my factory roof rack rail, installed a grommet ran the wires through the rail and into the jeep siliconed the hole good to go .
lights008.jpg

lights007.jpg
What I did also. Here are mine.
DSCF0930.jpg

DSCF0929.jpg

DSCF0928.jpg

thanks for the ideas... I'll probably do the work on either Friday or Sunday, so feel free to keep posting ideas :-D

I just lifted the windshield gasket up slightly and tucked the wires in there.
You can feed them through the cowl seem and then into the gasket. The windshield actually seals under the gasket so it should not leak. Then ran them along the driprail and into the rack rail. Sorry no pics at this time but it is pretty clean.

Back