• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ABS bypass

JeffsJeep04

NAXJA Forum User
I'm looking to install a switch in my 98 classic to turn the abs on or off. Anyone know what wires to tap into so that I can basically "pull a fuse" remotely? I don't mind lights coming on (will help remind me it's turned off), as long as they go off when the system is back on line. I'm very much used to not having ABS (and prefer it in most situations), so 99% of the time it'll be off...but sometimes interstate driving can get hairy, so it'd be nice to flip a switch and get the ABS back.

I don't know the answer to this, but something you should find out. I wasn't sure if you could just turn it on while driving. The computer might see it failed and leave it like that until you turn your Jeep off and then back on again for it to recognise it. Sorry I don't have any real info, just something to consider.

JeffsJeep04 said:
I'm looking to install a switch in my 98 classic to turn the abs on or off.

I looked at doing this a while back on both my 2000 and past 2001. More:

Anyone know what wires to tap into so that I can basically "pull a fuse" remotely? I don't mind lights coming on (will help remind me it's turned off), as long as they go off when the system is back on line. I'm very much used to not having ABS (and prefer it in most situations), so 99% of the time it'll be off...but sometimes interstate driving can get hairy, so it'd be nice to flip a switch and get the ABS back.

OK, to disable the ABS on a '97-'01 XJ you would normally pull the 40A fuse marked 'ABS Motor' in the PDU. Typically, I do this with the engine off; the same applies when replacing it to avoid putting a sudden demand on the electrical system (paranoid, I know) when the pump kicks in to build pressure. Yes, the ABS light will come on when you pull it. It may also take a few seconds to go out again after restarting with the fuse in place.

If going with a switch, I would strongly recommend running the connection through a relay. Part of the reason I haven't done this project yet is that my switches are only rated to 20A at 12V; finding ones good for 40A that are still mountable in the XJ (I was planning on using the vertical space between the instrument cluster and centre bezel for it) was problematic. I've heard that apparently the ABS Light relay can be bypassed with the same effect as pulling the ABS Motor fuse, but, well, I haven't figured out how to pull the damn thing yet :)

The other reason I haven't bothered with this yet: spending 90 seconds pulling the fuse every so often hasn't become a big enough chore to justify spending a couple of hours wiring the switch in. YMMV.

I remember reading somewhere that casm set something like this a while back. PM him and see how he did it (he's on a 2000, its probably simular).

edit: i was typing too slow.

JeffsJeep04 said:
Sounds like fuse pulling is gonna be the way to go for now. Switch might just be one of those summer projects to do.

Oh, one other thing I forgot to mention: after you pull the ABS fuse, it may take a couple of stops to get all of the pressure out of the system. Not a big deal, but the ABS light won't come on until after you've done this. I usually hit the brakes a few times after restarting to make sure it's running without ABS.

JeffsJeep04 said:
Good deal. Any idea what the ABS fuse ("sol" IIRC) next to the ABS motor fuse controls?

ABS Solenoid.

True, but the idea is that the light comes on when you pull the fuse as a reminder to put it back once you're on pavement again.

Back