• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

wont start :(

akram

NAXJA Forum User
Ok I was out driving the XJ yesterday and it died. It started acting like it was running out of gas but was full. Then it died. Now it wont start back up. Fuel pump seems to be working. Any ideas? Can you pull the injectors and crank it to see if they are putting out fuel? I'm going to change the fuel filter today or tomorrow. It cranks but acts like it is getting no fuel. Or maybe no spark. Thanks

your profile says 91. 'fuel pump seems to be working' what do you mean. do u hear it buzz when u turn the key to 'on'. check the pick up sensor in the distributer cap, and the Crankshaftpositioning sensor located on top of tranny bellhousing. do the listen for fuel pump test. and test it for spark. or just type in wont start in the search. tons of info

make sure there is pressure in the fuel rail and check to see if you're getting spark. From the sounds of it, I'm guessing you had a CPS die or set of wires burn. I had a similar incident in my YJ after I put on Borla headers....turns out when I rerouted the O2 sensor I ran the wires too close to the header and shorted em out. Jeep cut out on the freeway like it was out of gas. Engine would crank but wouldn't turn over.

Without knowing anything you've done, that's what first comes to mind. CPS would be my first inclination tho...particularly if you have fuel in the fuel rail.

Good Luck!!

Fuel pump does make a sound whent he key is turned on.

check the pick up sensor in the distributer cap, and the Crankshaftpositioning sensor located on top of tranny bellhousing
What am Iooking for and how do you test it. I don't have alot of experience iwth fuel injected vehicles.

CPS would be my first inclination tho...particularly if you have fuel in the fuel rail.

Is there a way to test it?

Thanks for the advice and help guys.

see if your getting fire off the coil. could be a bad coil on a 91. replace the wires, pick up, cap, and rotor and plugs anyways if it hasnt been done in a while. theyre all fairly cheap.

The coil, dist, dist cap, plugs, plug wires and all that are pretty much brand new. A buddy is coming over this week to look at it for me. He is sure it is the CPS.
There is fuel at the rail and the pump works. Should have it running by wed or thurs. no to just fix where my shock mount ripped out.

Once again thanks for the help.

my buddy came buy and tested everything. Turned out the Accel coil was bad. So I went to the local yard got the factory connector and got a coil. Hooked it up and vroom vroom. It runs.

sweet. you should go ahead and get the CPS just to make you feel better. and carry the old one with you. i replaced pretty much all my sensors, none were bad just did it. i carry all of them. i too once had a shitty coil. crownautomotive coil. my jeep died in the road as well, 1 week after install. OEM coil, cranked up. the ebay junk store never gave me another one.

I'm going to replace the CPS this week just incase. also got hooked up with some extra relays. and have a used coil from the localyard for spare

Back