• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A/C clutch bearing question

brehm21

NAXJA Forum User
2000 4.0l
My A/C clutch bearings are toast. At least I'm assuming that roaring noise coming from the clutch is the bearings. I squirted some lube in there and it quieted noticably, but I can still hear them rattling.
Can the clutch assembly be removed without pulling the compressor and getting the system discharged and recharged? It looks like it could be done maybe, but I can't find any posts containing that info.
Haynes manual is no help.

Thanks

If it's a Sanden compressor, you can pull the pulley/clutch assembly without disturbing the shaft seal. If the problem is the input shaft bearing, then that's a cow of a different color.

It is a Sanden. And the belt certainly needs replaced. It may have some stretch, but nothing relating to the belt has been touched in the 3 years I've known this Jeep (I married into it! How lucky am I?!). In addition to the noise, I noticed the disinct burning metal/clutch smell as I drove it for the last time a few days ago. Adding some teflon lube to the clutch eased the noise some.
So can I just pull the clutch assembly off the compressor where it sits bolted down, pressurized and all? In situ, so to speak? Or do I need to remove the compressor from the engine compartment? If so, I'm taking it to a "pro"
Sadly, much of my automobile experience leads me to believe a "pro" is simply someone who gets paid to screw up just as badly as I can here at home, for free.

The compressor pulley bearings can be replaced with out discharging the system. The compressor may need to be removed from it's bracket for easier access, but that's no big deal.

Do a search. I think I posted on this a few weeks ago. (Either here or on JeepsUnlimited).

You may need to borrow a special tool from AutoZone to hold the compressor still while you remove the pulley.

Okay, I finally got around to tearing the thing apart today. The bearings were totally gone, in fact a few balls fell out before I got the pulley all the way off.

The problem is......the bearing that I got from AdvanceAuto doesn't fit. And I can't seem to find anyplace that carries just the bearing. The only place I can find that even sells the clutch assembly separately is a dealership.

I've tried Sanden's site. They don't even list my compressor model, however their FSM was useful for tearing it apart. The model number on the compressor is 4784.

Frustration is setting in and I'm ready to throw things.

Ideas?

Try a refrigeration supply house. Auto supply shops (Auto zone, etc) are probably poor places for replacement parts. The Sanden is used extensively for boat refrigeration, so marine refer outlets are a good bet for these parts. If you can get a complete Sanded off E-bay for $50--guaranteed to work--with correct clutch and pulley, that probably would be a good alternative to buying a number of individual parts.

Back