• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

350 swap

advance adapters has engine mounts for the XJ to hold a SBC 350, and novakadapt has info on GM power in jeeps as well. good luck.

hope this helps, i am just posting cuz nobody answered you yet.

-tim

Advanced Adapters has mounts

you'll need to beef up the "frame" a bit

you'll need stronger axles.

you'll need a better way to cool it all down

not to mention.

exhaust, tranny, x-fer case

I'd start off by calling AA and see if they have a parts list for the conversion.

then pray for money and time.

In my biased opinion. I would spend the money building a stroker instead. It will save you alot of hassle with conversion and give you the same kinda power the 350 will. But like I said I am biased cause I am building a 4.6

ssjkakkarotx said:
In my biased opinion. I would spend the money building a stroker instead. It will save you alot of hassle with conversion and give you the same kinda power the 350 will. But like I said I am biased cause I am building a 4.6

it wouldn't be kinda same power as 350 if the 350 was built and stroked :)

lol thats true. But than your dumping even more money into the 350 that you already have too. course with that kinda money you could also buy XJ- Armour;s supercharger. To go with your stroker. Now that would kick arse

you mean something like this
DSCN0276.jpg

i went with the AA bell housing then fabed the motor mounts myself. then i built the rig for rock crawling

ssjkakkarotx said:
lol thats true. But than your dumping even more money into the 350 that you already have too. course with that kinda money you could also buy XJ- Armour;s supercharger. To go with your stroker. Now that would kick arse

He didn't say he had a budget for it??? :)

im all for the stroker set up for my jeep, but if anybody wants to put a 4 bolt main 350 in an XJ thats gonna be badass.

however, if i were to put a V8 in my XJ, it would have been the AMC 360 from my grand waggy before i sold it.

good luck swapping the 350, take lots of pics its gonna be sweet.

-tim

jeepnuts311 said:
im all for the stroker set up for my jeep, but if anybody wants to put a 4 bolt main 350 in an XJ thats gonna be badass.

however, if i were to put a V8 in my XJ, it would have been the AMC 360 from my grand waggy before i sold it.

good luck swapping the 350, take lots of pics its gonna be sweet.

-tim

That is why I am putting an AMC 360 in mine...gonna be sweet.

Swapped in a Chevy 350 into my '88 some time back. Tons of work and money to do it right. One thing to consider is how low the engine will sit. The manifolds tuck down between the frame rails. The oil pan is very close to my drag link. You must have at least a 3" lift, or you'll have interference from UCA's. If you place the engine higher, you'll need a large hole in your hood, and most likely have to do fire-wall and tranny tunnel mods, big time. My point? You degrade rock crawling capability with all of the hangy-downs associated with V8 install. Just this week, I finished installing a HP D44 under the front with crossover steering. It's my opinion that the D30 and a V8 will not get along. So I felt it a necessary part of the Chevy install to upgrade the front axle (already have a D44 in the rear). Now my front u-joint is having it's way with the exhaust cross over pipe; my raised track bar (to top of axle) is threatening my now lower oil pan. All of this is with a 7" lift. Hopefully I can work through all of these, and other associated issues and get back the off road capability I had with my old, tired 4.0! One thing for sure, on road capability has improved significantly. Maybe I should have left the Jeep alone and built a T-bucket for the street?

i kind of mixed in comments and opinions as i went through
xjbubba said:
Swapped in a Chevy 350 into my '88 some time back. Tons of work and money to do it right.wrong, i did it for less than $400, One thing to consider is how low the engine will sit. The manifolds tuck down between the frame rails.true, but they fit. The oil pan is very close to my drag link. You must have at least a 3" lift, or you'll have interference from UCA's. If you place the engine higher, you'll need a large hole in your hood, and most likely have to do fire-wall and tranny tunnel mods, wrong again, no fire wall mods or trany mods, and the hood hole was for cooling and a 1/4 inch clearance dut to the K&N filter.as a matter of fact, i have tones of room under the hood behind the engine. You degrade rock crawling capability with all of the hangy-downs associated with V8 install, no issues here but i did push the front axle forward 3 inches. It's my opinion that the D30 and a V8 will not get along.mine does fine with 33"s but the D35 i have i worry about a little. Hopefully I can work through all of these, and other associated issues and get back the off road capability I had with my old, tired 4.0! if you build it you will overcome!:) One thing for sure, on road capability has improved significantly. Maybe I should have left the Jeep alone and built a T-bucket for the street?
sorry, i hate to disagree with you but the rock crawling was enhanced not hindered by the 350 i have tones more flex due to the added weight,
138501173303_0_BG.jpg

and the torque of a stroker is quite comperable,even supirrior ( sp? ) to the average torque of a 350. i did the 350 because i was on a budget and could not afford a new 4.0 and yes, i think you should have built the T bucket.....:)

and the XJ:sunshine:

i hope i dont offend, just opinion and my experiances

Back