• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Problem w/ EZ-locker unloading.

Powerman

NAXJA Forum User
I bought a barely used EZ-locker to put in my rear D44 from a member on this board. He informed me of problems he had with it, but never got around to finding out why. He thought he had a bent housing. He is not the problem. The locker works normal on the trail, but unloads going straight down the road, all the time. My tire pressure is good and my tires are new. Mainly anytime I'm not hard on the throttle. The teeth were sharp and clean. He was going to try putting 2 thrust washers in on each side. I have the side gear washers in now. Talked to a guy at Eaton, and he said shimming was the only thing I can do. There is too much play.

Has anyone else had this problem? Anyone done this? Eaton said to pry to one side and see how much room there was. Put in brand new washers. Get shim stock and shim it. OK. I'm just asking if anyone else has needed to do this. Did it solve the problem? Did it work normal afterwards? Ordered new washers and will be tearing it apart Tuesday. Any other suggestions. Thanks for any input.

P.S. Has anyone else ground off part of a ring gear tooth so the cross shaft pin will clear? I've heard of people doing this, but don't know how it holds up. It's going to suck if I have to take the ring gear off everytime I need to mess with the locker. Thanks again.

Anyone else? Bueler...Bueler...Bueler

I had the same problem. I removed the ring gear each time I tore it apart. I did this 5 times in one week. New thurst washers were not a enough. Tried to stack new washer with old washer to much. This was on a XJ D44 with new gears and carrier. I sent it back and got a refund, now just waiting for Aussie Locker to send one from back order. I think you might be s.o.l. You might be able to get some bearing shims with the same o.d. and i.d. to help. Or bug the piss out of Eaton to warranty it.

opracer315 said:
I had the same problem. I removed the ring gear each time I tore it apart. I did this 5 times in one week. New thurst washers were not a enough. Tried to stack new washer with old washer to much. This was on a XJ D44 with new gears and carrier. I sent it back and got a refund, now just waiting for Aussie Locker to send one from back order. I think you might be s.o.l. You might be able to get some bearing shims with the same o.d. and i.d. to help. Or bug the piss out of Eaton to warranty it.

For one, I bought it used, so I doubt I can warranty it. I just surface ground a set of washers to see how it worked. Going to pick up some new washers. i might be able to grind down a set of washers to the thickness I need. I have shim stock at work to make some, but that will be a pain. I was going to look at what I have from my regearing to see what kind of shims are there. Your post is not too promising. If I can't get it to work, I too thought about getting an Aussie Locker. They do have good reps. How long for back order? At least I still have my spiders!

Dirt Surfer said:
For one, I bought it used, so I doubt I can warranty it. I just surface ground a set of washers to see how it worked. Going to pick up some new washers. i might be able to grind down a set of washers to the thickness I need. I have shim stock at work to make some, but that will be a pain. I was going to look at what I have from my regearing to see what kind of shims are there. Your post is not too promising. If I can't get it to work, I too thought about getting an Aussie Locker. They do have good reps. How long for back order? At least I still have my spiders!

I was told 3-4 weeks it has been about 2 weeks since my order. I am running open right now also.

Back