• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ NV3500 short shifter?

joey99jb

NAXJA Forum User
I was wondering if there was a short shifter available for a NV3500 transmission. Anybody find one? I found one for the AX-15 but i doubt this will work on the NV3500. Anybody know if one exists for the NV3500

HACKSAW.jpg

I have a 2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport 5-spd. I assumed I have the NV3500 transmission but I read somewhere that the Nv3500 transmission was only made for SE models. Does anyone know definitely if I have an AX-15 or a NV3500. Just want to be looking for the right shifter...

joey99jb said:
I found one for the AX-15
Where?

joey99jb said:
I have a 2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport 5-spd. I assumed I have the NV3500 transmission but I read somewhere that the Nv3500 transmission was only made for SE models. Does anyone know definitely if I have an AX-15 or a NV3500. Just want to be looking for the right shifter...
Manual shifters behind the 4.0 were
- Peugeot: 1987-mid 1989 model years
- AX-15: late 1989-1999
- NV3500: 2000-2001
These apply to all trim levels.

I gotcha. I think I am going to have to go with the Jeep Wrangler Hurst shifter for the NV3550. (Verified this is what I have). My only question now is not necessary compatability of the Wrangler shifter in my XJ but moreso the placement of the shifter with respect to me in the Cherokee. I guess this is un-chartered territory since there are so few NV3550's in Xj's to begin with.

This is what I plan on getting...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...d=1,1&item=8058037984&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT

We have a B&M shifter on our Wrangler's NV3550 and it gives a much better feel for gear changes than the stock shifter. The shifter occupies the same space that the old one did and looks practically the same height too. The difference is that the fulcrum is higher so the shift travel between gears is shorter.

Out of interest, how did you verify that you have a NV3550?

Pretty much exhaustive internet searches were enough to convince me. '00 '01 Cherokee's have the NV3550...
I guess I could go with the B&M shifter then if you think that it is basically the same height as stock. I guess I would have to check out a wrangler and measure to make absolutely sure. pretty expensive to make a mistake.

Cut and weld it. I shortened my NV4500. I cut a good piece of center section out. I also tilted the shaft so it would be a better position for me to use.

Back