• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Too big for stock XJ???

Fozzy

NAXJA Forum User
im lookin at buying an xj for a new commuter/light wheeler and have a quick Q abot tires. i want to run 325/60R15 BFG M/T's and woul like to do so with no lift. i know its an odd size, so ill provide the tire conversion. mounted and aired up the tire measures 30.8" tall and 13" wide (we just put a set on my bros yota PU) now im wondering if these would work wiht a stock XJ or if i would have problems with the tires rubbing springs, fender, control arms, extc.

Thanks in advance.

Only guessing but I think you would pretty much have to lose all four fenders to run those with no lift. (heavy cutting of fenders) For starters. Im adding 2 1/2" of lift and hoping to stuff narrow (9.5") 31's in. 31/10.5's normally require a 3" lift without trimming fenders.

Good luck,
Ken

On turns those are definately going to rub..

But for the lift.. I have a 2 inch lift and I run 31s.. No fender contact and doesnt rub until I am at full lock in the steering..

Fozzy said:
im lookin at buying an xj for a new commuter/light wheeler and have a quick Q abot tires. i want to run 325/60R15 BFG M/T's and woul like to do so with no lift. i know its an odd size, so ill provide the tire conversion. mounted and aired up the tire measures 30.8" tall and 13" wide (we just put a set on my bros yota PU) now im wondering if these would work wiht a stock XJ or if i would have problems with the tires rubbing springs, fender, control arms, extc.

Thanks in advance.

Forget it. Any tire more than 255mm or 10" wide is going to rub on the LCA at full lock and unless you add bigger fender flares, the 325's will stick out beyond the edge of the flare making them road illegal.

my wifes jeep is running 245 70 r-16 and they rub LCA's and rear flares. A 315 would probably never not be in contact with something on a stock height xj.

Those tires are much too wide to fit on OEM Jeep rims, the widest of which would be 15x8 Wrangler rims. The widest XJ rims were 15x7.

That means you'll have to use aftermarket rims. The good news is that no aftermarket rims have as much backspacing as OEM rims, so you can escape rubbing on the springs and lower control arms by choosing an appropriate backspacing.

The bad news is that the tires will extend well outside of the flares, which is probably not legal for highway use, and will certainly result in the tires smashing up the flares if you take it off-road and get it at all flexed out.

In short, not a good idea.

Fred85 said:
even if they did fit, they'd look stupid as hell!

IMO they would be eaclty what im looking for, prerunner.

and sorry to everyone, i should have given a little more details. i will not be running them on stock rims, most likely some 15x10 Rcok Crawler Series 97's. also, im looking at running rusty's bulged fenders instead of lifting it, the goal being keeping it low and wide.

I have 30X11.5 they do rub a bit and dont plan on carrying any loads as the rear will rub on bumps, just put 2 in spacers on and rubs worse oh well i figure itll wear away the plastic on the flares as needed, they did rub at full turn but i could deal with it as i really dont go offroad at all

Fozzy said:
But prerunner suggests jumping, and with 31" tires on a stock-height XJ you wouldn't have anywhere near enough uptravel. Though I suppose you could trim the hell out of the front fenders and put new, bigger wheelwells in the back, but in the end it would probably be easier to lift it. I'm running 31s (Interco, so true 31s) on a 2" lift, and don't see how you'd be able to fit them with no lift.

Mambeu said:
I'm running 31s (Interco, so true 31s) on a 2" lift, and don't see how you'd be able to fit them with no lift.

Thanks. And im not stupid enough to jump a unibody XJ thats using stock suspension. just envy the look.

Fozzy said:

and sorry to everyone, i should have given a little more details. i will not be running them on stock rims, most likely some 15x10 Rcok Crawler Series 97's. also, im looking at running rusty's bulged fenders instead of lifting it, the goal being keeping it low and wide.
Then why did you post in the OEM Tech forum?

I have 30" x 9.5" kumho m/ts with a two inch lift and they don't rub at all, but with no lift they would definately rub over bumps and if you had a large load in the back.

Back