• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

99 XJ Oil Leak?????

99NCXJ

NAXJA Forum User
This thing is really starting to piss me off. A couple of weeks ago I noticed every once in a while I would see a huge cloud of blue smoke bellowing out from behind my jeep. I figured out it was an oil leak that was dripping on my header pipe and burning. I replaced the rear main seal but it kept doing it. Then I replaced my valve cover gasket. Still doing it. What is going on? Where else could this be coming from. It isn't a constant leak, its like it purges a bunch of oil out every once in a while and just smokes like crazy. Please help!!!!!

Have you checked your oil filter adapter yet? Mine is doing the same thing... the oil will leak from the bottom of the adapter, to the filter, then to the starter, to the main seal, then to the bottom of the oil pan. All the while making you believe there is a leak in all of those areas (besides the starter). Jeep sells an o-ring kit (3 rubber o-rings) for it. It costs $4.00.

Probably oil filter adaptor "O" rings. Its a real PITA to replace but inexpensive. Mine was pouring oil out, replaced it and no more leaks. You will need a t-60 torx socket on some models, others have a bolt with a hex head on them, they are a little easier. The torx socket type will require you to make a wrench to break it loose. I took the t-60 bit out of the socket, cut it down as short as possible and welded it to a 3/8" breaker bar to break it loose. I took another t-60 bit and cut it down and welded it to a 1/4" drive universal, then with a extension and a 1/4" drive air ratchet it makes for a quick job to run out the rest of the bolt. This sounds complicated but it works, with the right tools you can do this job in 10 minuets, without them it is about impossible.

99NCXJ said:
This thing is really starting to piss me off. A couple of weeks ago I noticed every once in a while I would see a huge cloud of blue smoke bellowing out from behind my jeep. I figured out it was an oil leak that was dripping on my header pipe and burning. I replaced the rear main seal but it kept doing it. Then I replaced my valve cover gasket. Still doing it. What is going on? Where else could this be coming from. It isn't a constant leak, its like it purges a bunch of oil out every once in a while and just smokes like crazy. Please help!!!!!

Check the tranny oil level on the dipstick. The fluid expands when it gets hot and if the tranny's been overfilled, it might expand just enough to spit out from the top of the dipstick tube and land on the exhaust.

If its the the 3 oring seals in the oil filter adapter, dont waste your time trying to get the bolt undone. They usually never come out well. You probably will break your torx bit in it trying to muscle it off. I worked at a Jeep dealership and the way I learned from everyone there was to just use an air chisel/hammer and can spin it off easily with this. Maybe your Jeep being a 99 it will come out with a bit of force, but on older ones this is the best way. Jeep sells the new bolts also and they are only a few bucks.

Step one: Degrease the engine, completely.
Step two: Run for a week then check for stains, you leak is at the highest stain point, oil leaks down not up..

Last fall I noticed my timing cover behind the harmonic balancer was loose, the bolts had backed off. Noticed it purley by accident after I degreased the nose prior to replacing the water pump. I used to loose a 'mystery' quart between changes...

xjtrailrider said:
Probably oil filter adaptor "O" rings. Its a real PITA to replace but inexpensive. Mine was pouring oil out, replaced it and no more leaks. You will need a t-60 torx socket on some models, others have a bolt with a hex head on them, they are a little easier. The torx socket type will require you to make a wrench to break it loose. I took the t-60 bit out of the socket, cut it down as short as possible and welded it to a 3/8" breaker bar to break it loose. I took another t-60 bit and cut it down and welded it to a 1/4" drive universal, then with a extension and a 1/4" drive air ratchet it makes for a quick job to run out the rest of the bolt. This sounds complicated but it works, with the right tools you can do this job in 10 minuets, without them it is about impossible.

holy crap-complicated. take off your oil filter and oil pressure sensor. Drive the bit out of the socket with a punch. Put a metric end wrench on it( I think its a 9mm or 10mm) take some electrical tape and tape it to the wrench so it doesn't fall out while using it. put the wrench to the torx bolt, put a 1 foot length of pipe on the wrench, and turn. this whole job shouldn't take more than 1/2 hour at the most. work from under the jeep-get in behind the passenger front tire. When I put the newly o-ringed bolt back on the jeep, I used a gearwrench and my hand(to keep bit from falling out) took about 30 seconds to finish the job.

I replaced mine about a month ago...it must be different in older XJ's beacuse mine wasnt a torx head. I got in behind the passanger side tire and reached up to the bolt i was able to get it loose with the proper sized wrench ( i forget exactly what one) and a 2 foot peice of pipe then do the rest with my fingers. the adaptor came right off took it apart new o rings in back on took no more then 15 mins and i was completly winging it, had no idea what i was doing

Thanks guys, I'll try that. the weired thing about it is that it only happens every couple of days or so. but when it does leak it must poor because it sends out a lot of smoke off the header. I thought maybe some kind of vent tube was clogged and once it built up enough preasure it just blew past a seal.

Back