• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Removing old brake lines

oo7ravisXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Has anyone ever had problems doing this before, cuz mine are NOT coming off and im colse to stripping them. ive sprayed PB, any other ideas on how to get it off? by the way its the top part of the brake line. -Thanks

vise1.jpg

its what i did. get it tight on the first try so you dont strip anything. theres probably a better way

A good quality flare nut wrench, 3/8" I think
About $10 or so at Sears

oo7ravisXJ said:
Has anyone ever had problems doing this before, cuz mine are NOT coming off and im colse to stripping them. ive sprayed PB, any other ideas on how to get it off? by the way its the top part of the brake line. -Thanks
Being from CA and living both there and here, I know you don't have as much rust as we do here. Keep soaking it in PB. With a good quality flare nut wrench (NO! not a cheapy) work it until you get the smallest movement. Keep soaking! I had no choice but to use a Vise-grip on one of mine. It's back on and still working.

If anything, destroy the nut, but don't twist the line. You can cut the tip of the flare off, install a new nut and reflare, but if you twist the line too much, you have to cut the line further up.

Back