• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

"Disconnect steering linkage at pitman arm"?

oo7ravisXJ

NAXJA Forum User
What does that mean exactly, just take off the nut on top or totaly let the steering linkage hangdown, and if i am to let the steering linkage hangdown i cant get it off the pitman arm. By the way im installing the RE6130. -Thanks, Travis

Disconnect means just that, disconnect it. It is easiest to use one of these:
pitmanpuller.jpg

but I have used a "pickle fork" and BFH before, the pitman puller(pic) will also work with the TRE at the pitman arm, very usefull and pretty cheap($20 or so). Unless you are using a drop pitman arm I would think you could leave it attached to the steering box and just disconnect the TRE.

don't use a pickle fork on a pitman arm, very bad for the steering box. Those pullers are like $20 at a parts store.

oo7ravisXJ said:
What does that mean exactly, just take off the nut on top or totaly let the steering linkage hangdown, and if i am to let the steering linkage hangdown i cant get it off the pitman arm. By the way im installing the RE6130. -Thanks, Travis

I wouldn't bother taking it off. If you really need to disconnect the steering linkages for the installation, it will be much easier to just disconnect the tie rod ends.

EricsXJ said:
I wouldn't bother taking it off. If you really need to disconnect the steering linkages for the installation, it will be much easier to just disconnect the tie rod ends.

x2. Don't pull the arm, disconnect the TRE at the arm.

1. Remove cotter pin.
2. Remove nut from TRE.
3. Replace nut (only put it back on about 3-4 threads).
4. Firmly strike pitman arm at the TRE location with a hammer.
5. After a few whacks the TRE should drop and the nut will catch it.
6. Remove nut and lower link.

Worked for me doing my RE6030.

Happy lifting.

Rich

Take the nut off and strike the side of the pitman (where the tre passes) through. It will come right out.

Hitting the tre stem with the nut threaded half on is a good way to kill it.

Dirk Pitt said:
Take the nut off and strike the side of the pitman (where the tre passes) through. It will come right out.

Hitting the tre stem with the nut threaded half on is a good way to kill it.

Please read closely

non-stick said:
4. Firmly strike pitman arm at the TRE location with a hammer.

I would never recommend sriking the TRE. That's just not smart. I recommend leaving the nut on the TRE so it wont fall completely and possibly bind the opposing end or injure someone. :(

Just making sure I didn't confuse anything/anyone.

Have a great day. :)

Back