• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

banging while putting auto into reverse.

BIGDAMNXJ

NAXJA Forum User
My 95 xj makes a banging while backing up. is this the tranny mount??? any writeups on how tos on this. changing the mount that is.
any other info.

so its happening when the the torque reverses. check tightness for the transercase Xmember bolts. check torque on ubolts.

wrong.... when an XJ "bangs" going into reverse it's the little sensor the plug into the transmission... don't need it and it cost like 300 dollars at the dealership... go to a junkyard and be VERY careful pulling one

why you gotta say 'wrong' like you are superior. im still trying to figure out what a f'in bang is. just throwing out suggestions.

skyjackedxj96 said:
why you gotta say 'wrong' like you are superior. im still trying to figure out what a f'in bang is. just throwing out suggestions.

Nice Avatar! Jessica Alba is hot! Sorry now back to the topic.

skyjackedxj96 said:

sorry... came out wrong... wasn't trying to be a dick at all... my bad

Matt98XJ said:
Nice Avatar! Jessica Alba is hot! Sorry now back to the topic.

x100

sorry like I said its more of a feeling and its definetely uder my butt? like a clunk clunk, you say the sensor how many are on my tranny? what sensor is it.

I can't remember what the sensor is called but I know you can pull it out without removing the tranny.... I'll have to get back to you on the name though

i had the same problem, started a few months after i lifted the jeep 4.5".
i brought it to the shop and they told me the problem was in the rear diff.
figgured i wore the ring and pinion because i did'nt compensate for drive-
shaft angle.
i just swapped in a chy 8.25, new driveshaft, i had it done so all angles are
correct. no more problem............so far.

norm

I get kinda the same sound. I've been wondering about it for a while. When I put it in reverse, a bang happens but also my rear end drops down too. Any ideas why this happens?

BIGDAMNXJ said:
sorry
4.5"s
1" t-case drop bracket.
banging is more of a feeling than a noise.
u joints seem fine.

When did you do the lift? It could be the yoke on the t-case. When in reverse the pinion goes down a little and increases the angle there.

A dry and worn slip yoke can do it as well as a braken left engine mount so check that one too. Also the banging can come from the transfercase touching the skid plate if you have one and didn't lower it a 1" too along with the drop or it is been bent up.

Back