• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Upper Control arms, can't align bolt!!

vwkaferman

NAXJA Forum User
Great, I thought this would be an easy project, got the passenger side upper control arm out after lots of cussing and banging stuff around. Now I can NOT align the lower bolt to the perch on the Axle.

Any reccomendations? I've tried using a strap to pull the axle, rotate it so to speak, but it's just not working. I think I'm screwed here, gotta get this put back together this weekend, as it's my daily driver. Help!

James

are you trying to do it while the driver side arm is still connected? try a jack under the track bar bracket to rotate it up.

Yes, driver side is still connected. Should I disconnect it, then try to rotate the whole thing and get both in at the same time?

Tried jacking up where the control arm attaches to the axle, still can't get it to rotate far enough. Would it help to remove the springs (spring compressor) to make more room? I get to a point jacking up at that location, and it eventually lifts the vehicle of off the jack stands, eh, it's what I get for having stiff springs.

Thanks for your advise, I'll try again here shortly. Getting nervous.

James

what exaclty are you doing, adding longer/adj arms to set castor better? and you need the axle to come back towards you ( speaking that u are sitting in front of the front axle). i recently adjusted my upper radius' on my longarms to get castor and im picky, i had both uppers disconnected. what you may have to do, and you can try if all else fails, is disconnect the lower pass. control arm, giving you some more play-so you can set the upper, then lining the lower one back up is pretty easy.

I'm just replacing the upper control arms with stock ones. I know it's not perfect, lifted it on a budget myself. The old ones (bushings) are a bit worn.

So maybe I should try to disconnect the lower one, the try again?

James

it was just a thought, i wouldnt disconnect either on the driverside if you try it tho...

IIRC, I put my floor jack under the forward end of the spring perch and slowly jacked up the axle. It might have even been the track bar bracket. This raised and rotated the axle enough to slide the bolt through.

How close are you getting? If you think the spring is not compressing enough to give you the clearance, use the spring compressors. Anything is worth a try.

I needed the axle perch hole to go back towards the rear of the vehicle. It was too far forward. Thanks for your input, I disconnected the lower pass. control arm, and it was essentially a breeze.

ARGH. Moved over to the driver side, and it all came off with relative ease. That is, except the bushing. Now I can't get IT out of the perch on the axle. Man this SUCKS!!! I've tried heat, banging, everything. Seems it's in there pretty tight.

Thanks again fellas. Giving my hands a rest from hammering all day.

James

Hey guys, I'm doing this exact same thing soon. Do you think he had problems cuz his XJ was lifted? I'm gonna attempt to replace the upper arms or at least the bushings on my wife's '92, but it's 2wd and not lifted, will it matter u think? And if they become difficult, what was that order to try....both sides at once and/or the lowers as well? Thanks.

Not sure if 2WD's have control arms, never been under one. I wrote this whole response thinking about 4WD Jeeps, and forgot that you had mentioned 2WD. Hope it helps nonetheless. But here's a rundown of what I did.

Titan, yes, it's lifted, albeit with a homebrew kit. I used F100 coils with spacers for a total lift of 3.75". Reason I mention that is the F100 coils are obviously stiffer than a normal lift spring.

In a nutshell, here's what I did for the passenger side:

Lifted the front end of the Jeep removing both front tires. Disconnected the sway bar (quick disconnects) knowing that I was going to have to move the axle around to get the holes to line up later. I started with the bolt at the axle (remember, we're talking about the Upper Control arms), then fought for hours trying to get the bolt out of the perch. Since lifting, it changed the angles on that upper control arm. I eventually got it out, then loosened the rear, and it popped out.

Point of interest. Having a few ratcheting straps is EXTREMELY useful, as there a few holes under the jeep, used in conjunction with the Axle perch, that helps align the holes when you need to put the bolt back through. Had I known this, it also would have helped in the removal of the bolt. Since yours is stock, I would imagine, since the suspension geometry hasn't been changed, that you might be ok. I good place to jack up the axle to get it to rotate towards the rear (mind you, rotating the top of the pass. perch) was the lower edge of the track bar mount.

Since mine is lifted, loosening, and subsequently removing the lower control arm helped out tremendously, I just removed the lower control arm where it attaches to the body. Again, once the upper is in place, using a combinations of jack and straps, I was able to get it realigned to bolt back in.

The drivers side is a whole different story. I actually had the driver side upper control arm off the Jeep in 15 minutes. The next 6 hours were spent on removing the bushing that is pressed into the top of the axle, on top of the diff. I finally got it out after going to Lowes/ Home Depot and fabricating a home kit for removing bushings. I grabbed every washer I could find, and quite a few bolts long enough to where if I had one too short, I had one that was longer. Coupled with the bearing remover kit I bought at Harbour Freight, which to me was essential, as it had the collar that went over the side of the bushing that needed to come out, not sure how to explain that. Basically, the bushing is going to come out one side, you need a collar that fits OVER that bushing, just enough room to when the bushing does start coming out, it has room to push into. The other side of the bushing, I used a socket that was just the right size that was used to "push" the bushing through the perch as I tightned down on the bolt.

I haven't yet pressed the new bushing in, the bolts I got to remove the old one are too large to slide through the new bushing, so I'll be hitting Lowe's again tomorrow for smaller bolts. Reason for the diff. size bolts is the old Bushing on top of the axle, the sleeve came out, so I could fit a larger bolt through it initially, not thinking ahead of time that I would have to have a smaller bolt that would fit through the new bushing.

Welp, that was long winded, but wanted to try to get down in detail what I did. Thanks again for everyone's input. It's true, Jeeper's take care of Jeeper's.

James

vwkaferman said:
The next 6 hours were spent on removing the bushing that is pressed into the top of the axle, on top of the diff.

I fought this battle too until I read about using a propane torch. I used a large C-clamp and a socket big enough to push the bushing into. I applied as much force as I could on the rubber bushing and then heated the steel housing. Once the rubber starts to melt, it slides right out.

I put the new ones in using the C-clamp and socket. A little grease that came with the kit and they went right in.

Back