• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

any body know if driving without doors is legal in new york

rocklandxjer

NAXJA Forum User
hey does anybody know if driving without doors is legal in new york, i tried checkin the laws but there too many.

also, what is the heighest any one has gone up without significant vibes, cause im at 4.5 and i dont feel anything really ('94 4 door) i wanted to get some spacers, shackles and a shim(for the leaves) but i dont wanna have to go and drop 300+ into a slip yolk.

rocklandxjer said:
hey does anybody know if driving without doors is legal in new york, i tried checkin the laws but there too many.

most likely it is illegal. if your vehicle does not come equipped with removable doors from the factory then altering your doors in any way is illegal.

thanks for the link and the link to the porc site, seems pretty decent, and cheap. will that require gearing down, i was looking into throwing a bigger ring in the diff, but i didnt wanna have to regear everything and end up spendin a fortune since it works great already

rocklandxjer said:
thanks for the link and the link to the porc site, seems pretty decent, and cheap. will that require gearing down, i was looking into throwing a bigger ring in the diff, but i didnt wanna have to regear everything and end up spendin a fortune since it works great already
A SYE will not require regearing, but it will require a new rear drive shaft. Some have used a front DS from a 4.0 auto XJ in the rear after doing a SYE.(Myself included.)

Do you have a T-case drop on yet? If not that "might" work for you after you add the spacers and shackles.

As for regearing, the bigger your tires the more you will want to regear. But you can't just change the ring gear by it's self. Nor do you really want to just do the back and then later do the front. Unless durning the time that the front is geared differently from the rear you can live with out putting it in 4wheel. I'd suggest maybe even take the front DS off.

One sure way to find out about the doors is to take them off and then wait to see if you get stopped.:confused1

Have a cop friend? ask him, Or maybe call the local PD and ask. If they don't know they should have a number to someone that does.

Good luck.

DAryl

Last edited:
KarlVP said:
The doors issue only becomes a problem because there is no lip or ledge to keep things from rolling out of your vehicle.

Really.....WOW you must have one of those flat floor XJs. Looking at mine there is a noticable "lip" where the door is.

The only place you need to check is the vehicle code for your state, NO ONE can tell you it is, or isn't legal without consuting the written code. Find it...copy it...carry it.

Rev

Rev Den said:
Really.....WOW you must have one of those flat floor XJs. Looking at mine there is a noticable "lip" where the door is.

The only place you need to check is the vehicle code for your state, NO ONE can tell you it is, or isn't legal without consuting the written code. Find it...copy it...carry it.

Rev

Most states require that ledge to be 3 inches high.

its not a question of legal but safe. if you junk the doors you risk the structual integrity of the vehicle the doors are most of the roof support if you roll you will get crushed. get a roll cage if you do it.

Back