• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2nd gear lockout on a 2000?

flash_gordon

NAXJA Forum User
I want to do this mod, but can't find any info on how to do it on a 2000 XJ. I can find that it will turn on the check engine light, but not what wires to connect to on the TCU. Anyone have any info?
Thanks,
Shawn

I don't mean to hijack your thread, but maybe this will help. I have always wondered, but never had confirmation. On my auto, I have the 1-2 location. It will upshift to 2nd normaly, however, it will not upshift in 4-lo. I know people modify their tranny to not upshift to 2nd. Mine does not. I always wondered if this was a new thing. So your auto upshifts to 2nd when you are in 4lo right? I have a 2000 as well. What's up with that?

Dirt Surfer said:
I don't mean to hijack your thread, but maybe this will help. I have always wondered, but never had confirmation. On my auto, I have the 1-2 location. It will upshift to 2nd normaly, however, it will not upshift in 4-lo. I know people modify their tranny to not upshift to 2nd. Mine does not. I always wondered if this was a new thing. So your auto upshifts to 2nd when you are in 4lo right? I have a 2000 as well. What's up with that?
Mine will upshift to second in 4low as well. Eather your TV cable isn't adjusted right, or your not getting the RPM;s high enough to make it shift. It should shift just right before redline.

I'll stop hijacking the thread, but why would you want to be at redline. I don't get my RPMs that high. With my 4.88s that is still too fast. I use the brakes by then. That doesn't make sence. When I put it in 3rd, 1st will upshift to 2nd at around 3500rpm. I'll give it a try next time I'm out though.

I actually got the title a bit wrong... I want to lock it into 2nd gear. I hate when driving in 1-2 gear while in 2nd and having to slow up for something and having the tranny drop into 1st, it is very irritating. I would like to lock it into
2nd until I get to an obstacle that I need 1st. I can't find any info on how to do it on anything newer then 96.
Shawn

Back