• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Running hot

Talyn

NAXJA Forum User
My 2000 XJ is running a bit hot now that the weather is getting warmer. Above 210 with a 180* high flow t-stat. Does it in traffic and on the highway, but more so in traffic. Prior to my head swap it was running fine.. around 210 with a 195* t-stat. When the weather was cooler it stayed right around 180*. Coolant level is good and green. Also, this is with out A/C running. When I did the head swap(about 8000 miles ago) I also replaced stock parts with these parts:

-Flowkooler water pump (a bit disapointed with this, just like my orginal pump, but had an aluminum plate riveted to the impeller)
-High flow t-stat housing
-180* high flow Mr. Gasket t-stat from Hesco
-radiator hoses (lower one does have a spring in it)
-Coolant was changed with the head, flushed before and after head was installed

I flushed the system before and after the head swap. Coolant is nice and green with no loss. Air flow to the rad isn't blocked. Runs hot on the highway and hotter in traffic.

Possibly blocked rad? But why did it just start up?

T-stat possibly not as high flow as it should be? It does open as I saw in cooler weather with the engine staying at 180*. Maybe it isn't opening 100%?

Flowkooler doesn't flow as well as stock? Haven't heard any negatives about this though.

What about a partially blocked cat? It doesn't rattle and the exhaust doesn't smell like eggs.
Any ideas?

-Chris

yeah with my buddies his thermostat gave out and there was a lot of air in the system. This is why open systems suck...I am going to convert to a closed system...

I am guessing some air for your problem

correction: closed systems suck, open systems are better. youve got a 89, you have a closed system with the pressure bottle junk

yeah whatever...lol...I get the terminology wrong, but I am going to eliminate the overflow bottle....if not going to change how the hoses run....well I kinda have to....

When I blew a heater hose this winter I took the occasion to make a few changes that have made a LOT of difference in cooling on my Jeep. I replaced all hoses and the heater control valve, no biggie there you already did most of that.

The biggest thing I did was to drain as much of the coolant and replace it with vinegar for a week. After running it this way for the full 7 days I flushed the system twice and got more crap out of it than you can shake a stick at. There were globs and clumps that I thought would never end. I also cleaned the overflow bottle out really well before & after putting the vinegar in, before there was some sludge in the bottom but not too much- after there was over an inch of sludge!!

I also took my mechanical fan OFF at the same and have been running with just the factory electric fan. So far the warmest outside termeratures I have driven in has been 75*, but that was also over mountain passes where I was pushing as hard as I could to try to make it overheat. Never budged-. I also drove in stop & slow traffic in 75* and never got hot, the stock e-fan can keep up so far.

I have a supplamentary e-fan sitting here to be put on, but I'm waiting to see what it will take to make it get hot first, and even then I think I'll play with tranny coolers for a while to see what difference it makes. The Jeep is no longer my DD as of last Thursday, so I have lots of room to tinker now- :D

Only one sensor and I swapped that out with a spare I had. Same thing. Besides, you can feel when that 5 lb boat anchor hanging off the engine called a fan kicks in, which is right where it should be according to the gauge. Same thing with teh electric fan.

Back