• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What year front axles will fit my 89 XJ ??

Elohim1

NAXJA Forum User
I need the drivers side axle shaft ujoint and stub shaft for my 1989 xj with the dana 30. It has the vaccum disconnect.

A parts store said replacement stub shafts are not made for these anymore. So when going to a Warn,Yukon etc., which does have a larger ujoint, requires you also to change your hub.

I have just changed that hub and want to stick with the stock axles for now.
I am wanting to look for some in a boneyard.

My question is:

The parts store said shafts which wil work in my application can be found in Dana 30's through model year 1995. Is this correct???? If not please tell me what years.

If I'm not mistaken, you can use Dana 30 shafts from any XJ all the way up to 2001.

And if you swap in some shafts with the bigger u-joints, you do not have to switch hub assemblies.

The newer d30 fronts have more splines than the older ones. All drivers side shafts will work if its the right spline size(I can't remember the year change or the two diff. spline sizes). But the pass. side because it is a vac. disconnect will be different than later year models, it doesn't sound like you need both now.

Direct replacement will call for the 2-piece shaft for the disconnect. All you need is the outer half of the assembly. This was used on XJs with Command-Trac (not used with Selec-Trac) through 1990, and NOT used from 1991 on. It was also used in the YJ Wranglers through the end of the YJ series (1995).

Do not let anyone talk you into changing to a different year hub. The hubs, knuckles, calipers and rotors are all subtly different. Change any one, and you may have an interference fit (which means your wheel won't turn).

[EDIT]Wait -- you said driver's side? The disconnect is on the passenger side. You can use a driver's side shaft from any year XJ, any year Wranger (YJ or TJ), and any Grand Cherokee ZJ (through 1998).

Back