• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Whats the best way to insulate/soundproof my 96

kenny schmitt

NAXJA Forum User
I didnt buy my 96xj to be quiet but i know in 97's and up were made with better insulation to cut out outside noise. I was thinking after the stip put a coating down, glue a ruber mat (can i glue it so i dont have to worry about water getting under it) then insulate and carpet. whats best?

i put one of those egg shell foam bed mats under the back seat and in the back under the carpet which helped alot...i have also seen people rhino liner(or some form of) the inside

Dyno-mat or one of it's clones, lotta work, all the carpet out and start laying it down, remove door panels and then that. One owner here did a good write up and posted picks, after it was done not only was it quiet but it was immuned to beaming from UFO's and black helicopters too....

I’ve heard that “Ice Guard” is a good cheap substitute for Dynomat and is cheap. I’ve been planning on trying it this summer on mine if I get time. You can get it from Home Depot and is the stuff they put along the roof edges on houses before they put the roofing shingles on. It looks like Dynomat but is thinner, and you can put 2 layers on to make up for it.

Work in progress:
http://www.secondskinaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1118

I'm waiting for the stuff to fully cure so I can give it the thumbs up on adhesion (if you see my concern down toward the bottom) .. but the guy who wrote the sound deadener showdown said it sticks very well, and I trust his assessment.

I actually had 40 ft² of peel'n'seal installed and removed it to replace it with damplifier from secondskinaudio.com, and I would reccommend reading http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/ before thinking about using a roofing material. Join the forum I linked to above, and get a 20% discount off the prices on their home page.

I chose SS, but raammat at raamaudio.com is supposed to be comparable in quality and a hair cheaper. Both are supposed to be cheaper and better than dynamat. Keep in mind this stuff is heavy, so if you are buying on price, factor in shipping.

lilredwagn said:
In my situation, I am looking at layering like this:

=============== vinyl backed carpet
(?)----------------- .25" closed cell foam(?)
=============== Luxury Liner (vinyl side up)
-------------------- 1mm+ Firewall
-------------------- 1 layer Damplifer
_________________ sheetmetal

The .25" foam will probably only be in select locations, as things are already getting way thick without it, and the LL obviously won't go in the doors.

Somewhere in there, I intend to coat everything with Herculiner so that it is waterproof. I am thinking that the vinyl layer will give the LL enough structure, and Herc is flexible enough, that I can Herc over the LL. If this is not the case, I may herc over the Firewall (or I may just leave it in the can, since Firewall is waterproof)) and just lay the LL on top. The advantage would be that it could be removed - the disadvantage is that it could trap water.

incidentally, I didn't buy "real" Luxury Liner, but a roll of the same type of material:
http://www.acousticalsurfaces.com/noise_barrier/bardec.htm?d=14 for about half the price. I'm just referring to it as Luxury Liner in the SS forums as a courtesy to SS :D

Thanks and ya i know its alot of work but the only worry i have is rusting when it gets wet. As of now i lift the carpet to dry the floor. Will i be able to dry it with this stuff?

The best thing I've ever used between spray in, stick down, roll on and such is thicker padding under the carpet. There are many types, but honestly it cuts down more road noise then anything else.

Some peopel use Peel and seal for roofs. I used something similar called weather lock. $60 for a huge roll. Did the engite interior of my XJ in 3 layers and still have some left over.

Back