• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Effects of matching gears

homebrew

NAXJA Forum User
Just wondering what the effecrts are in matching gears front and rear. I am planning on regearing my rear to 4.10, but due to budget and time restraints I wount be able to get the front done in time to drive my rig from cali to florida. Do I risk damaging the drive line by doing this??? or would it be better to suck it up and just keep the stock gears until I get back. (not planning on putting it in 4wd if that makes a differance)

homebrew said:
Just wondering what the effecrts are in matching gears front and rear. I am planning on regearing my rear to 4.10, but due to budget and time restraints I wount be able to get the front done in time to drive my rig from cali to florida. Do I risk damaging the drive line by doing this??? or would it be better to suck it up and just keep the stock gears until I get back. (not planning on putting it in 4wd if that makes a differance)

leave it in 2wd and you wont have any problems. Pull your front drive shaft just to be sure there is no "oops" 4wd engagement...

not a big deal at all, i ran that way for about 4 months till i got it done. pull your front drive shaft, you'll get better gas mileage driving cross country.

Back