• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Engine stalling after start-up solved

PstrKd4BrthCntrll

NAXJA Forum User
Thanks to the SEARCH function, i was able to skim through threads and got some ideas...

I was driving my Chero [cause I have it stored and just wanted to get the fluids all flowing] around a few days ago when it cut out on me while i was doin about 35. I pulled into the medum[sp], and it would start, then die 2 secs later. So i trailered it back to my storage and searched for suggestions. After searching around for about 20mins i found what i thought could be it.

I went to my storage place and took a peice of wire and jumped/by-passed the fuel ballest[sp] resister located on the drivers inner fender engine compartment. Jeep started right up, ran fine, then I took out the jumper wire, it stalled, rejumpered it, started it up, and it ran. Problem solved :)

pics
78287095_245847957_0.jpg

yellow wire is what i used to jump over the white resister. just split the stranded wires up into two tails, and shoved them into the connectors. Saved me a trip to the dealership!!

LESSON: SEARCHING WORKS...

Last edited:
Having a XJ problem that works like yours.

I haven't had the chance to look under the hood. Can you take a pick of both ends of the wire? Where they are connected?

Thanks
Jason

JMotorsprt said:
Having a XJ problem that works like yours.

I haven't had the chance to look under the hood. Can you take a pick of both ends of the wire? Where they are connected?

Thanks
Jason

Not all XJ's have the ballast. It's just a simple resistor. Bypass it by connecting together the two wires that run to it, in whatever way is convenient. The only function it serves is to make the fuel pump run more quietly. It might also extend its life, but evidence for that is scant. It will run fine with the resistor bypassed.

Back