• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

stroking a 4.0

90hunkametal

NAXJA Forum User
I have been trying to figure out if there is a cheaper way to stroking my 4.0 w/o buying a kit for $2000. Isnt there a way to use the crank and rods out of a 258 and boring my cylinders out to get the same output? What else has to be done in order for that to work?

Alright - I hate to do this, but SEARCH!

Sorry, but this is an idea that has been done to death (and you're on the right track - you'll need the 258 crank and rods, and 4.0 slugs,) but we've hammered it out to no end here, and there's a Yahoo! group dedicated to the idea - groups.yahoo.com/group/strokers.

I hate to do that to you, and I hope you've got fairly thick skin, but we have beaten this literally to death, and there's a lot of information on here - no need to add another gargantuan search result...

5-90

5-90 said:
Alright - I hate to do this, but SEARCH!

Sorry, but this is an idea that has been done to death (and you're on the right track - you'll need the 258 crank and rods, and 4.0 slugs,) but we've hammered it out to no end here, and there's a Yahoo! group dedicated to the idea - groups.yahoo.com/group/strokers.

I hate to do that to you, and I hope you've got fairly thick skin, but we have beaten this literally to death, and there's a lot of information on here - no need to add another gargantuan search result...

5-90

x's 10 Dude I am still fairly new to this site but when I first started searching I found more information than I could deal with on this subject. Now I only post AFTER I hit the search button. It may take a little extra time but at least yor ass won't get gnawed on. lol

Aw - you should know by now that I don't chew. Hard.

However, when something's been done to death, I just don't see any need to add to the pile.

Now, if you were asking something like that at Pirate, you'd get your ass handed to you in about ten minutes flat!

5-90

90hunkametal said:
I have been trying to figure out if there is a cheaper way to stroking my 4.0 w/o buying a kit for $2000. Isnt there a way to use the crank and rods out of a 258 and boring my cylinders out to get the same output? What else has to be done in order for that to work?

I stroke my engine all the time and it purrs like a kitten. ;)
Here's what is probably the most comprehensive stroker write-up you're ever gonna find and, yes, it's mine. Take a look here:

http://www.angelfire.com/my/fan/stroker.html

Dr. Dyno said:
I stroke my engine all the time and it purrs like a kitten. ;)
Here's what is probably the most comprehensive stroker write-up you're ever gonna find and, yes, it's mine. Take a look here:

http://www.angelfire.com/my/fan/stroker.html

HaHa It's funny to me because the reason I found this forum is from your site Dino. I was googleing the piss outta stroking a 4.0 and finally found some stuff that wasn't crap. By the way, is that a picture of you on your site? Looks kindof like the guy from America's Funniest Home Videos (whats his name? played on that show full house too) Just wanted to ask...

GoliathJeeper said:
By the way, is that a picture of you on your site? Looks kindof like the guy from America's Funniest Home Videos (whats his name? played on that show full house too) Just wanted to ask...

Do you mean this guy?

stroker.jpg

No, it's not me. I think that might be Robert Bryce, the pioneer of the homebrew stroker and author of this write-up.
I'm much more handsome than him. ;)

epiroge-DrDino.jpg

Last edited:
Back