• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Do Not Make This Mistake!!!

XJHummerRescue

NAXJA Forum User
I was changing my HD pulley, wasnt that hard of a job, but a little time consuming and I got started late. Ended up putting the pulley on in the dark. Well, now I am definately paying for it. At first I heard this funny clicking noise and the next day noticed an oil leak (couldn't see it in the dark). Thought the pulley wasnt on all the way and that was why it was clicking and leaking. Impact wrench didn't help.

Now, today I pulled the timing chain cover, and to my horror, when I installed the HD pulley, it was slightly off, and pushed the woodruff key back, which got lodged sideways, and then when I started it up, the chain flung it into the cover making a hole (more noticible when I took it off and put it up to the sun) about the size of one of these smileys :(.

The oil slinger is also trashed, it scraped marks into the crank timing gear, and made a couple nicks in a few of the chain links.

I will post damage pics as soon as I can find my digital camera.

Just posted as a warning to anyone attempting this repair soon. DO NOT put the HD pulley on in the dark and MAKE ABSOLUTE SURE they are lined up correctly.

Now tomorrow morning I must go to a junkyard and get a new oil slinger and timing chain cover, and while I am in here I am going to replace both the timing chain and front main seal. I never want to see the inside of this cover again!

Sorry to hear about all that. But the good thing is it happened at home. A handful of parts, some creative curse words and you will be back up and running in no time. Good luck!

Thanks, and yes, I think I may write up a new dictionary on curse words I am making up every time I work on this Jeep.

Oh, and forgot to mention, while I was on my way to taking off the timing chain cover, I had to use my cutting torch to cut off one of the studs for the fan clutch, and snapped off one of the long threaded rods for the alternator bracket.... Just part of the fun of working on a 17 year old vehicle I guess :).

langer1 said:
woodruff key those things always kick up even if everythings perfect until your half way on.

I remember that happening on some of the xerox machines I used to service, and we would sometimes have to put a "small" drop of crazy glue under the key to hold it in place until the pulley was on.

Back