• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anyone know what gears are in a xj v6 2.8?

canadianwheeler

NAXJA Forum User
Maybe i am just dumb but i tried searching and cant seem to get a straight answer. I want to know what gear are in a 86 xj with a v6 2.8. Need to know about both auto and stick.

thanks

I saw a 4 Cyl, manual trans at the junkyard last weekend. It had 4.10's.

Gearing

3.07 - used with 4.0L engine / manual transmission
3.31 - only available on older (pre87?) 2 door XJs with "Fuel Economy" package
3.55 - used with 4.0L engine / automatic transmission
3.73 - found in some XJs with the towing package
4.10 - used with 2.5L engine usually, and older XJs with the "Off-Highway Vehicle" package.
4.56 - rare but can be found on some older (~ 89 ~) models with 2.5L engine and auto transmission

Last edited:
Tim_MN said:
I saw a 4 Cyl, 5 speed at the junkyard last weekend. It had 4.10's.

Gearing

4.10 - used with 2.5L engine usually, and older XJs with the "Off-Highway Vehicle" package.
4.56 - rare but can be found on some older (~ 89 ~) models with 2.5L engine and auto transmission

It does not list the v6 2.8.....

canadianwheeler said:
This xj that i am woundering about has a auto tranny behind the 2.8 engine

I have seen both 3.55's and 4.10's come stock in this configuration, more often it seems they are 4.10's though

PAPXJ said:
I have seen both 3.55's and 4.10's come stock in this configuration, more often it seems they are 4.10's though

In 86' with a 2.8L XJ you will have either a 3.73 or a 4.10.
The 3.73 came in the AX5 equipped model and the 4.10 came in the TF equipped model. Owned both.

If you find a 3.55 equipped 2.8L XJ, someone else has the original axles.

Tim_MN said:
I saw a 4 Cyl, manual trans at the junkyard last weekend. It had 4.10's.

Gearing

Nice answer, but it doesn't have anything to do with the question.
If one looks under the modified tech section, Old Man has a list of gear combos.
Though I have always believed his list is slightly suspect, most anything can be found in any Jeep at anytime, especially a USED Jeep ;)

Zuki-Ron said:
In 86' with a 2.8L XJ you will have either a 3.73 or a 4.10.
The 3.73 came in the AX5 equipped model and the 4.10 came in the TF equipped model. Owned both.

If you find a 3.55 equipped 2.8L XJ, someone else has the original axles.

I don't know about the 86 model year in particular, but I have seen a handful of 2.8 auto w/ 3.55's at junkyards.

Maybe the 2.8 had too much power for the 4.10's and a handful of people swapped them out for 3.55's??? I don't know.

I hate to say this but, get on your knees and crawl under there and read the tag. That is the ONLY way to find out what you have. You could custom order an XJ with any axle ratios that were currently available then. The dealer would place an order and spec out what they wanted. There was a dealer in AZ that loved 4.56 gears, and you find a lot of XJ's there with that combo. Around here, 3.73's were the norm.

old_man said:
I hate to say this but, get on your knees and crawl under there and read the tag. That is the ONLY way to find out what you have. You could custom order an XJ with any axle ratios that were currently available then. The dealer would place an order and spec out what they wanted. There was a dealer in AZ that loved 4.56 gears, and you find a lot of XJ's there with that combo. Around here, 3.73's were the norm.

Ya i know.... I was just trying to figure it out since the guy lives across town and for some reason wont check for me. He says they are stock but i was hoping it had 4.10's so i could buy the front diff for my xj.

PAPXJ said:
I have never seen 3.73 in an auto, only in a stick.
I have an '86 2.8L automatic parts heap in back of the barn. The axle ratio is 3.73 according to the tag on the front differential.

PAPXJ said:
I have never seen 3.73 in an auto, only in a stick.

Just to be clear canadianwheeler, I only said I haven't seen it, not that it isn't out there...and as a few on this thread have pointed out it does come with that setup. But old man's advise is the best in this situation. I just picked up a D30 w/ 4.10's this weekend out of a 86 2.8 auto. Good luck!

my wagoneer with the 2.5 four cylinder and a three speed auto tranny has 3.73 gears. Get dirty and check the tag.

Kim.

Back