• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Speedometer signal?

schmiedel

NAXJA Forum User
I was just wondering if someone has information about the speedometer signal. I have seen some electronic recalibrators for about 200USD, so I don't think the signal is a simple voltage that has to be adjusted (200USD would be a ripoff), so it seems to me as if it was some signal (let's say a digital or analog frequency) that has to be altered to get the correct reading.

Is there some literature available about this?

Regards

schmiedel said:
I was just wondering if someone has information about the speedometer signal. I have seen some electronic recalibrators for about 200USD, so I don't think the signal is a simple voltage that has to be adjusted (200USD would be a ripoff), so it seems to me as if it was some signal (let's say a digital or analog frequency) that has to be altered to get the correct reading.

Is there some literature available about this?

Regards

There is a mechanical linkage in the transfercase and you can just get a new gear for about $15 from the dealer and replace it yourself. Search around.

Did you find any info about this? I'm interested as well, because I can't get the gear I need to calibrate my speedometer correctly, (I need a 45 tooth gear but 42 is the highest available) so I'm thinking of having the electrical guys at work help me rig up a signal calibrator.

Yeah, if yours is cable driven you may as well just buy the gear, shouldn't be more than $15-$20 at the dealer.

My 91 is electronic; I know a number of companies make re-calibrators but they are pretty expensive (I'd rather just have my speedo read 5 or 10 mph off than spend $200). I'm just wondering if anyone knows what kind of signal the VSS puts out; we have some pretty sharp guys in our electrical department here that can probably build me something to alter the signal, if they knew what the signal was.

Well, as far as I know the gear can also be bought with the electronic speedometer. However it would really be interesting to know the signal. If you had an osciloscope it would be a piece of cake to find out.

According to a 95 FSM, the Speedo should be putting out a 122.2 Hz pulsetrain at 55 mph which translates to the slightly easier to remember 8000 pulses per mile. Shouldn't be too hard to make a calibrator... You could go all digital, or it might be easier to convert the frequency to analog, tweak the voltage, and then do an analog-to-frequency stage.

What are you running that you need a 45 tooth? That's like running 4.56 gears and 28" tires!

Back