• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

P.O.R.C. HD SYE install

generalleexj

NAXJA Forum User
my question is that i know it is possible to leave the transfer case on the jeep while installing the SYE, but how hard is it to leave it on the jeep
the instructions says it is much easier by taking the transfer case off the jeep, but i saw a pictorial install on naxja and the transfer case was left in the jeep. i was just wondering if anyone has installed the PORC HD SYE while leaving the transfer case in the jeep. also i understand with the older year xj's you much cut off some of the shifter for 4LO, aslo plug the vaccum seal. is it true that with the newer years ( i have a 2001 ) i dont need to do either of these ? ?? thanks in advance.

did mine in the jeep, works fine, i have a 92, i had to cut the shift lever, the best way to do it is get some 1" masking tape, because all you need to take off is an inch, wrap it around the end, and cut, i found the best way was a 4" grinder

Last edited:
leave it in, get some lockring pliers if you dont have any. Takes a couple of hours. I have a 2000 and didnt have to cut the shift lever, same style as yours.

sorry but one more thing. what driveshaft did you end up using? did you use a STOCK front driveshaft or did you order a new one ? just curios because im planning on using the front shaft from my old 1989 xj with np231. thanks again
(last time i swear )

some used the front stock shaft and it has worked fine. make sure your ujoints and cv are ok on the 89 shaft tho. if you want a more solid HD setup order a woody shaft.

My PORC SYE made the tcase a few inches shorter so I had to lengthen a front shaft to work. I pulled mine out but after seeing how easy it was I wish I would have left it in. Getting the six nuts off was by far the hardest part of the project.

Back