• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ARB Reliability

keener

NAXJA Forum User
I'm considering installing an ARB in both axles of my 98 XJ.
How reliable is it ? How does it tolerate extreme cold ? Any problems with condensation build up in the air lines ? What about air leaks ?
Thanks for your help.

most of the problems with air leaks have been fixed with the new design. i have heard of problems with extreem cold due to water in the lines but those are rare cases and can usually be fixed by putting a water seperator in line. this is really the only selectable locker i would run. just rember when settign up the air lines and such to choose runs that are simple and clear of objects that may harm them.

although there is the t-locker made by tera that with some more feild abuse and feed back could turn out to be a great alternative to the ARB.

-Brandon-

for "extreme cold" I might opt to use their braided stainless steel lines. Those lines should be more forgiving on routing too.

I've got an ARB in the front of my XJ for about 3.5 years now with no issues, and it was used when I got it. As long as everything is setup and installed properly from the start, it should be pretty reliable. Most of the issues I've read of were mainly the result of poor installation.

I had a little problem with it not unlocking but realized that I had the soleniod installed unside down. 10 minute fix and I haven't had a problem since. I haven't made the switch to braided lines but rather, ran the blue line through vacuum hose from the diff to the compressor. I'll see how this works for a while..

Personally, I'm not sure I'd make the switch from a Detroit in back, if I had the chance. It's really nice knowing that the back end is always locked and there's not really much that can go wrong.

Regardless, ARB's would be the only selectable locker I'd use. I say go for it Keener!

formatt said:
Personally, I'm not sure I'd make the switch from a Detroit in back, if I had the chance. It's really nice knowing that the back end is always locked and there's not really much that can go wrong.

I would, in a heartbeat, but only because my XJ still sees a good amount of daily driving in stock and go traffic, and I don't like how the Detroit 'kicks' in that type of driving. That or an OX, if I could figure out a good place to mount the shifter...

Come'on Jason... live a little. :D

You just have to learn how to drive with it... I hardly ever get that kick anymore. If you didn't know it was in my rig, you'd probably never guess I had one in there.

Been driving with it for over 5 years now... come to TX, drive in our traffic, see how you like it then. :D I doubt I'll ever actually swap out my rear Detroit, I may complain about it a lot, but it's really not bad enough for me to be able to justify the cost of an ARB, OX, or Eaton.

I havent had any problems with my arbs front and rear, I had mine installed by someone who is good and havent had a problem at all.

Back