• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Just wanted confirmation about using no sway bars

Ghetto2315

NAXJA Forum User
I finally got around to installing my 2" BB lift with spacers in the front and a AAL in the rear. The person who helped me install the lift told me that we needed to take the rear swaybars out because it would not bolt back with the lift on so we took it off. He told me it was perfectly fine to drive normally without the rear swaybars... is that correct?

Next, we ran into a problem where we broke the front sway bar links, which means right now I am running without front sway bars. It wasnt too bad of a drive back without them.... but I am assuming the front sway bars are indeed important since mine will be a Daily Driver as well?

Thank you guys... this forum has been a huge help in the process of my lidt install!

I removed my rear sway bar and don't notice any difference. However the front is very important. if you had to make a quick maneuver you could possibly lose control.

My name is Jdogg4 and I've been swaybarless for 4 years now. I've had temptations from time to time but I resist.

Just kiddin ya the rear SB is some what pointless. I didn't even notice it was off after going 4.5. And like the upcrounty package for some XJs didn't even come with a rear SB. as for the front I still have mine on but haven't been connected in over a year. Thinking about it now I might need to swap in some new zip ties????? I don't drive crazy really pretty calm out there on the road for the most part. I do get on the interstated doing 75 with the flow of traffic and have had no problems.

The funny part is I thought I tossed out the rear SB and just found it on monday night behind a 350 motor I sold to a guy here at work.

front sway bar = keep it
rear sway bar= lose it. No difference. I've got 4.5" and 33's and I can't tell a difference. It's not a race car anyways.

Chris

don35414 said:
I removed my rear sway bar and don't notice any difference. However the front is very important. if you had to make a quick maneuver you could possibly lose control.

That is a myth. I run no swaybars on my '98 with 4.5"+ lift on 33's. Put it to the test a month ago too when a tractor-trailer decided he wanted my lane on the highway more than I did. It's all about the driver and comfort level.

Look Ma! No sway bars :D

p13-1144533660.jpg

guys, I have another question thats not related to the swaybars, but I didnt want to start another thread.

Do I need an alignment now after my 2" Lift?

She seemed to drive striaght and fine, but if it means saving my tires from excessive wear, then I'll go get the alignment done

yep, always a good idea after any steering, suspension, tire work. If you have a National Tire and Battery near you, they have a few good deals.

One time alignment is $69....BUT
One year unlimited is $89
Two years is $109
Three years is $129. UNLIMITED. I go after every trip, every time I do major work on it, or any time i need something else worked on I go to NTB. Not trying to advertise for them against any rules, but it's a pretty sweet deal.

Chris

redneckjeeper94 said:
ive got a 6 inch lift on 33s and no swaybars front or rear, you can tell a diff with both of them off but as long as you drive safe you wont have a problem
It's not about how safe you drive, it's the other morons on the road.

The Chief here in Colorado can tell you what happens to a Jeep when the Loading/Unloading becomes too much. He threw his on its side and he was only going about 5 mph. His front sway bar was disconnected.

It's just wise to keep it hooked up while on the road. It's a safety factor. Who needs a super-articulate XJ driving in downtown? Maybe for that hard to get into parking spot.

Ex CCS racer said:
Put it to the test a month ago when a tractor-trailer decided he wanted my lane on the highway more than I did. It's all about the driver and comfort level.
It's about that: driver comfort level. I have a 3" RE lift w/discos I keep hooked up driving on the roads here. Lots of mountains, interstate and city. As soon as I hit dirt, off they go. Pavement, on they go.

I run no sways front or rear.

this is on a 99 Cherokee with the following done to the steering.

NP231, SYE, 4.56's, RE 5.5" XD Lift, Skidrow TC Skid, ORT Rear Bumper + Carrier, Rigidco Front Winch Bumper + Steering Box Plate, Milemarker 8000 Winch, Rock Sliders, 35x12.5 BFG A/Ts, HD Currie Steering, Control Arm Skids, few other goodies...

it really depends on your driving comfort/skill level and what suspension you have. I drove for two years with no swab bars and was fine, though I have the higher spring rate ZJ coils, which stiffen up the front alot. I just recent threw the front bar back on and truely didn't notice a difference, except the whole bar pin noise, its coming off in a few weeks to get ready for the wheeling season. If I still had softer/stock springs, yes I would run a front bar no matter what.

Jeepin Jason said:
for you guys who don't run a swaybar... do you wear your seat belts?

Damn it I knew I forgot something:confused1 :looney:

Jeepin Jason said:
for you guys who don't run a swaybar... do you wear your seat belts?

If you're insinuationg we're gonna die then yes, I do.:D I think my stiff sprung Crusty's lift works for me. Like I've said, I've perfomed the swerve test. Granted, I crapped myself when a semi decided to change lanes suddenly, but I felt completely in control and the vehicle didn't feel out of control other than the expected extra sway. I drive a max of 5-6mph over the speed limit also. I think it really depends on the brand of lift myself. My YJ had no track or swaybars period. Never a problem there either.

Ex CCS Racer said:
If you're insinuationg we're gonna die then yes, I do.:D

No, mearly alluding to the fact that the front swaybar is similar to your seatbelt (or a helmet on a bike) -- it's a safety device that really only comes into use during extreme situations, not regular everyday use.

I'm running an RE 5.5" lift with Bilstein 5150's, and even with that setup I MUCH prefer the handling with my front swaybar connected vs disconnected. Even if that wasn't the case, I'd still run one. My safety and that of those around me or in my Jeep isn't worth the <1 minute it takes to pull two pins and swing my disco's up. I mean, what else am I going to do while my tires are deflating? :D

Jeepin Jason said:
No, mearly alluding to the fact that the front swaybar is similar to your seatbelt (or a helmet on a bike) -- it's a safety device that really only comes into use during extreme situations, not regular everyday use.

I'm running an RE 5.5" lift with Bilstein 5150's, and even with that setup I MUCH prefer the handling with my front swaybar connected vs disconnected. Even if that wasn't the case, I'd still run one. My safety and that of those around me or in my Jeep isn't worth the <1 minute it takes to pull two pins and swing my disco's up. I mean, what else am I going to do while my tires are deflating? :D

Jason you said it perfectly. I mean c mon guys what is so hard about diconnecting or reconnecting your sway bar :rolleyes:

I havent run any swaybars for about two years, not because I am lazy for disconnecting but because I am lazy for welding on a new mount to the axle.

Yes it is a safety device and can help you. For me it is a calculated risk, I see more problems on onramps or offramps that always make me pucker, it is the unloading issue.

Due to the softer springs from juat a BB I would definately keep it on the front. With just 2" you can get away without new links so you might as well use it.

Back