• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2000 XJ No Trimming

Big Worms

NAXJA Forum User
Can you put 31 X 10.5 MT tires on 15 X 8 rims with 3.75" BS on a 2000 XJ with a RE 4.5" lift and not have to do any trimming?

Will this combination work well?

If you flex it you will pop your fender flares off. If you remove the flares, and the bumper endcaps, you'll be better off but may still rub the fender at the top of the wheelwell opening. It may be harmless at that point or you may want to trim it since you'll already have the flares off.

My 15x8's have 4.5" BS and this has been the perfect wheel for me so far. I threw on a 3/4" coil spacer and have 5" lift now and could still get minor rubbing on the flare. Finally after a year and a half (with 5" lift mind you) my 31's finally pushed off the flare enough that I had to remove it or I would have lost it on the freeway on the way home from the trail.

Heres a pic from actually before the spacer - so it was 4.5" lift and 31's on 15x8 with 4.5" BS

rubbing.jpg

If you are set with running 3.75" BS just remove the flares, do a minor trim job and it will be fine.

If you try, you can always make it rub :) but as far as normal road driving with both swaybars, you'll be fine. Bumpstops will help too.

I would NOT use 3.75" backspacing on a XJ, On YJ's and TJ's yes, but not on a XJ. I would recomend 4.5" backspacing.

I had 3.75 bs wheels on my 2000 with a 3" coil and 2.25" spacer and is still rubbed. You can trim the studs that stick through on the flare retainer brackets to keep the tire from popping your flares off. It has been my experience that the tire contacting those studs causes more problems than the tire actually hitting the flare. You will be fine running those wheels, as long as you don't mind some rubbing when at full turn and the suspension compressed a little.

Thanks.

It just seems tough to find nice rims that have a 4.5" BS. I really don't like the look of the all black rims.

What factory wheels do you have?I ran that kit with 32x10.5's on my factory 16" alloys and it worked awsome!

I agree. I ran 31's on 3" of lift with stock rims and only popped a flare once when I really came down hard on it while turning.

On the rims I had the same dilema: I like the black rockcrawlers on a lot of XJs (like EricsXJ, looks really good with the blue) but didn't care for them myself. I found some Weld Super Sidewinders that come in 4.62" of BS and they fit the new 33's just about perfectly.

Back