• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

SYE Stock?

rckclmbr

NAXJA Forum User
ok i picked up a jeep for 200 bucks the other day for spare parts. its an 86 that came with the v6. the v6 has a dropped rod but i got to looking at the t case. It seems to have a fixed yoke(i tried to pull it out and it doesn't budge.) the rear drive shaft has a slip part on it but only has one u joint at the top and one at the bottom. so did this come from the factory like this or is it and aftermarket upgrade??

look closely at the yoke there the flange bolts to it. If the end of the shaft is flat and has sharp edges then it probably has been "hacked and tapped". Compare the rear axle to the front-Are they the same (evidence of a aftermarket SYE.) What transfer case is it?

rckclmbr said:
ok i picked up a jeep for 200 bucks the other day for spare parts. its an 86 that came with the v6. the v6 has a dropped rod but i got to looking at the t case. It seems to have a fixed yoke(i tried to pull it out and it doesn't budge.) the rear drive shaft has a slip part on it but only has one u joint at the top and one at the bottom. so did this come from the factory like this or is it and aftermarket upgrade??

My brother just picked up an 86 for $150 bucks. By any chance does it have the NP228 t-case???? I can ask him tonight about the slip yoke...

yea there is one bolt holding it the yoke to the t case. I know what it us supposed to look like cause my running jeep is still without a SYE and has the SY. so i guess it has a sye. i will get pics up tomorrow.

The early 228 and 229 transfer cases had fixed yokes.

Probably wouldn't be very accurate to call them SYEs, since they never had an SY to E.

how would i be able to tell what t case is in it? its def bigger than the one in my '90 xj so i am guessing its not a 231. what do i need to look for on it?

rckclmbr said:
how would i be able to tell what t case is in it? its def bigger than the one in my '90 xj so i am guessing its not a 231. what do i need to look for on it?

My brother's had the tag on the back of the t-case indicating it was the 228. Does it have fulltime 4 wheel drive? My brother's was missing the vacuum switch on the console. He had to climb under it and switch the t-case manually to 4WD.

Back