• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 35 or Chrysler 8.25

TXSizedJeep

NAXJA Forum User
Ive got a C8.25 w/ 3.55s on right now but ive been offered a dana 35 with 3.73s for free.... im about to swap in a new dana 30 up front with 3.73s and would have to buy new gears for the rear anyways. im just wondering i guess what the real difference is between the two and if you would do the swap if it were your rig

im runnin 33X12.5 xterrains if that changes anything

8.25 is a much stronger axle. regear it.
And with 33's you might want to consider something considerably lower than 3.73's. Read the gearing faq stickied at the top.

yea i really need some 4.56s but am kinda short on $$$ right now
would i have any problems with 33s and a dana 35? im not really doing anything too hardcore, mostly easy trails and freeway medians :)

Considering there've been threads about d 35 spiders exploding on pavement with stock tires.
Considering that i've got a 3.55 D-35 with exploded spider gears in it, that lived behind a 2.5 4 banger, and had stock tires.
now imagine what happens when you go up to 33's and then ask the d-35 to live behind a 4.0

you would be better off to regear. ive seen 38's run stupidly on a YJ for 3 monthes, dana 35, until teh guy got his 60 built. it was fine for the mud and weak trails that his did. he had a traction bar on it, and was doing a burnout in a parkinglot and blew the spiders. it doesnt really matter that he did run those, and doesnt mean that you should, all im saying is there is no way to tell if you will be alright or not. you could try it and risk it. it aslo makes a difference if you got 27 or 29 splines in your mopar right now, what year is it.

depends. I have been running a welded non-clip D35 for almost 4 years with 33s. No probs yet.

Know a guy abusing another welded non-clip D35 with 36s.. still going after a year.

c-clip D35s, see them blow all the time. Don't know why they seem to be so much weaker.

Back