• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

hitch and skid plate

dirt machine

NAXJA Forum User
I picked up an oem skid plate and a draw tite hitch and it seems like they will not fit on the xj together. I tried to dry fit them and one would not fit around the other. Any suggestions? Thanks.

What year XJ?

I have to go check to refresh my memory, but I know on the 94-96 the order of installation is reverse from the 97-01. For one of them the hitch goes up first and then the skid, for the other the skid goes on first and then the hitch.

89 Laredo

Also, the two "straps" that are holding the gas tank up...does the skid plate go over these and over the plastic skid plate, or underneath the straps and throw away the plastic shield? Thanks.

The Mopar skid goes beneath everything. You don't even have to loosen the straps or remove the plastic. I had to trim the edges a little to create clearance but left everything in place and just bolted the skid plate up.

When I added a factory skid to my 88 I trimmed about an inch off the ends of the plastic gravel shield and left it in place. I'm using a Mopar factory hitch, but I put a Hidden Hitch on another '88 (with factory skid plate) for my ex-girlfriend and it bolted right up.

Tom's order of installation matches what I remember for the pre-97s -- hitch first, then skid.

tlman said:
The Mopar skid goes beneath everything. You don't even have to loosen the straps or remove the plastic. I had to trim the edges a little to create clearance but left everything in place and just bolted the skid plate up.

X2 That's exactly what I had to do. I did the method where I fished the bolts thru the body then bolted everything up. Was a little tricky but less expensive then nut strips. I used a jack and a block of wood to hold the tank skid up.

Back