• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Howling noise rear end or transfer

torfinn

NAXJA Forum User
I have gotten a howling noise from the transfer or the rear axle. I have order new parts for overhaul of the transfer. The noise is coming at around 30mph, and is constant. Not affected by drive/coast and/or turning.

I cannot feel any play in the pinion. No oil leak. If it is the rear axle it is probably carrier bearings? If I only replace the carrier bearings will I need to set up the preload and all that stuff over again? Or could I just put the shim pack right back where they were.

I have an 89 with bendix abs. If I should replace the whole axle what years can I use? Can I swap the abs rings and sensors?

regards

Torfinn

I have now opened up my rear axle. I have never opened one before, but it looks normal to me. Just some tiny metal bits in the oil, which I guess is normal for about 40000 km. Backlash seemed normal. I put a breaker bar under the ringgear and tried to press it up, to see if there were any play in the bearings.There wasnt any. The ring gear teeth felt quite sharp at the tip. I guess thats normal also since the contact is in the middle of the teeth. It has the factory lsd. Could that be making noise when driving straight? It is a 230000km vehicle.

regards
Torfinn

No I did not pull the carrier.

I will repair my transfercase first to eliminate that sound first, as the chain is making some noise.

Torfinn

Back