• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

long linings in rear or front?

torfinn

NAXJA Forum User
I changed the brake shoes and drums last year. They were put exactly like the old ones. Now i come to think of it the long linings are at rear, and the short in front. Is this right? There is a picture in the haynes manual that shows this; long in the rear. I have always thought that the long linings should go in front.

The reason I am asking is that I have less braking on the right side, I pulled the drum and discovered this. But I think it is probably the adjuster that is bad.

regards torfinn.

It's what is called a "self energizing" brake. The leading shoe in front is shorter. In normal braking the friction of the drum against the leading shoe pulls that shoe in the direction of rotation and that shoe pushes the larger trailing shoe against the drum with more force than could be delivered by the wheel cylinder itself.

Back