• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

dropped pitman arm recommended?

southernoregonxjer

NAXJA Forum User
Just finished installing my Rough Country 4.5" lift with 32x11.50 Cooper STT's. Everything went semi smooth....and the ride is good. Does pull to the left a little but it goes to the alignment shop in the morning. Was wondering if I needed a dropped pitman arm? Also have a larger turning radius to the right...why?

southernoregonxjer
01 xj

The longer turning radius to the right is because when you lifted it, the steering draglink was pulled towards the driver's side, pointing the tires to the left. Once you get your alignment done, your turning radius will be back to normal. A zj pitman arm gives about an inch drop.

is your trac bar dropped? if the trac bar is parrallel with draglink you are ok.

Yep as above. You cannot not just fit a dropped pitman arm without dropping the trackbar mount the exact same amount to keep in parallel. Did you fit a new adjustable trackbar as well? Otherwise your axle will no longer be centered left to right. I would have done the alignment yourself too as I bet the place you take it too will not even attempt the adjust the caster for you. See my site and how to do it yourself or check to see that they have done it. Make sure also you ask for a before and after print out on the alignment specs too. www.go.jeep-xj.info

skyjackedxj96 said:
is your trac bar dropped? if the trac bar is parrallel with draglink you are ok.

The kit came with bracket to drop the track bar about an inch? and I also installed an adjustable track bar. When centering the body over the axle, I took a measurement from the inside of the fender to the outside of the wheel on each side. They were within an 1/8" of each other.

skyjackedxj96 said:
The longer turning radius to the right is because when you lifted it, the steering draglink was pulled towards the driver's side, pointing the tires to the left.

I did notice that the passenger tire was pointing/leaning to the left, and the drivers was not as bad.

Which is the drag link?

southernoregonxjer said:
The kit came with bracket to drop the track bar about an inch? and I also installed an adjustable track bar.

in that case you might want to try the zj pitman arm.

southernoregonxjer said:
Which is the drag link?

the draglink goes from the pitman arm to the passenger side knuckle. You can adjust it to fix your turning radius problem. You should need to lengthen it to get your tires centered again.

When I got my allignment, they mentioned my pitman. I have 4" lift and didn't think new arms were necessary for this hight. What will a drop pitman do for me? I just redrilled my track bar. I knew about ZJ pitman arms. What will that do for me?

HEY you false quoted me! jk.
are you talking about the weak bracket that drops the trac bar at the axle end or up where it hooks to the frame?

Dirt Surfer said:
When I got my allignment, they mentioned my pitman. I have 4" lift and didn't think new arms were necessary for this hight. What will a drop pitman do for me? I just redrilled my track bar. I knew about ZJ pitman arms. What will that do for me?
unless you have a HD frame trac bar bracket which drops the trac bar, you do not need to drop the draglink.(the one that hooks to the pitman). it will cause bumpsteer.

Got 'er back from the shop and it drives great. The shop fixed the deal with the turning radius which in turn straightened the steering wheel. The track bar and the draglink seem to be parallel but they are at a pretty good angle. // well, not that bad i guess...

also was wondering if anyone would recomend more lift or trimming to get rid of the tires rubbing?

Back