• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

wheel spacers. bad idea?

kennzz05

basic dumbass
planning on putting 2in spacers on my stock rims with 30x11.5 tires any reason i shouldnt? little or no offroad driving planned maybe some beach driving and snow but nothing real aggressive

you may need spacers...I have 10.50's on stock rims and I have very little room left between the rear leaves and inside of tire,take a look at the clearance that you have in the rear with those 11.50's and that should help you decide...

hth

kennzz05 said:
planning on putting 2in spacers on my stock rims with 30x11.5 tires any reason i shouldnt? little or no offroad driving planned maybe some beach driving and snow but nothing real aggressive

Not taking the safety issues with the spacers braking, and just looking at it from a pure economical side, I would say the buying wheels makes more sense than buying spacers. ( unless you already have them or got them for free) Good spacers are expensive, and rival in price with new Cragar softs with correct backspacing. Now if later on you would like to go back to stock wheels, it would be easier to sell the aftermarket wheels than the spacers.
Now if you rally , really.. like your stock wheels that mucc, then I guess my main consideration would be good quality spacers to eliminate safety concerns as much as possible...
Just my two cents.
Angel

speedycat3 said:
Not taking the safety issues with the spacers braking, and just looking at it from a pure economical side, I would say the buying wheels makes more sense than buying spacers. ( unless you already have them or got them for free) Good spacers are expensive, and rival in price with new Cragar softs with correct backspacing.

x2.

I found a good PAIR of spacers would cost $125-$200. I got Cragar softs with the right backspacing for $38 each, or $152 for FOUR.

Just adding my $.02 to the total.

non-stick said:
x2.

I found a good PAIR of spacers would cost $125-$200. I got Cragar softs with the right backspacing for $38 each, or $152 for FOUR.

Just adding my $.02 to the total.

Yeah, but you're comparing a good pair of spacers to the cheapest wheels you can find. :rolleyes: Try comparing a good pair of wheels against a good pair of spacers. I bet it comes out about to a simliar price, but you don't need to buy a spacer for your spare.

BAD IDEA you cannot properly torque down wheels with spacers, i spent 3 years at Discount Tire Co. we could not touch a vehicle with specers on it because that was our policy,thats my 2 cents

I was just reading an article last night about a 98 that was built by DPG. It has 4.5 of lift with 35's and wheel spacers. I guess the spacers accomplish one of the bonuses of a full width? (In no way am I saying that spacers are the equivalent to full widths or that full widths only result in a wider stance.)

need4speedjp said:
BAD IDEA you cannot properly torque down wheels with spacers, i spent 3 years at Discount Tire Co. we could not touch a vehicle with specers on it because that was our policy,thats my 2 cents
Why can't you torque wheels with spacers?

BTW, in the 3 plus years that I've ran spacers (1.25" spider trax) there has only been one problem, and that was that I didn't get things torqued after a trail repair. It is very important to get things torqued correctly and check at each rotation. Then you'll be okay.

I'm not easy on my Jeep, and they've stood up to it.

DAryl

Phil said:
Yeah, but you're comparing a good pair of spacers to the cheapest wheels you can find. :rolleyes: Try comparing a good pair of wheels against a good pair of spacers. I bet it comes out about to a simliar price, but you don't need to buy a spacer for your spare.

Try passing a safety inspection with spacers after they pull the tire to check the brakes.

I would rather trust my cheap wheels, that I know are torqued properly, than the most expensive spacers. I don't run Moab style rocks in VA, so a "cheap" steel wheel gets the job done for me. Besides, my spare doesn't have to match cosmeticaly, so it is a factory wheel with appropriate BSing.

But like most discussions here, it's all a matter of personal preference. I guess we all make our own choices and live with or learn from them.

Back