• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

liftgate support on hood

NCCherokee

NAXJA Forum User
I think i saw this on GoJeep's site, but i dont recall a detailed write up of it. It looked like he did it on only one side. How easy would it be to mount a tailgate type support on the hood so it opens itself, or at least holds itself open, when not in use? I have to go to napa tomorrow to buy a trackbar bushing, and i'm thinking of picking up one of these supports to see if i can figure out how to make it work. Gojeep, if you wanna chime in, i'd love to hear how you did it.

Kenny

If you go to Autozone, they have the ones you need w/ lifetime warranty. They are stock replacement. Once you replace them, they will open automatically. They are a little fun to install, but not too bad.

Rob

Damn I hate that guy... just when I thought my trailer was halfway cool......... LOL..... he has a great site

And I think NCCHEROKEE has seen the site he just wants a write up about the install

i love the prop so much more than hood struts...my last car had gas struts and they eventually wear out and would fall. it got very annoying and i almost did a prop conversion to get away from the struts after the heavy hood fell on my head once!

JrTxJ said:
i love the prop so much more than hood struts...my last car had gas struts and they eventually wear out and would fall. it got very annoying and i almost did a prop conversion to get away from the struts after the heavy hood fell on my head once!
I been running just the one ( cant get the bonnet back down if you use both ) for about 7 years now without problem. Makes it much better when you have to lift it when it is so hot you cant touch it I tell you!

So, how bout it GoJeep? do you have a writeup? The pictures on your site are great, i'm just wondering little things, like what you cut your brackets out of, how you cut them, measurments, how the ones on the fender are mounted on the inside, and if it was too much of a pain in the ass to do/how long it took. I know you're only using one, but it does alright lifting the hood up on its own? Does it hold it up on its own as well?

Kenny

I've got one on my rig. Its strong enough to easily open the hood on its own. I used just one rear hatch rod. Its really nice as my rig has 8" lift with 36" IROKS. Was getting a little difficult to lift the hood and put the prop in. I did leave the old prop in just in case

Scared myself a few months ago with it. I totally forgot I had installed it and hadn't worked on the rig in a few months. Went to pop the hood to boost it and usually I had to grunt to get the hood up, well between my lifiting on it and the rod pushing, the hood went flying up and almost took my nose off! I thought a cat was trying to get out or something, took me a minute to remember what was going on.

I've been running a similar setup on my XJ for a number of years now. I absolutely love it. I used some brackets from a local RV store. You can see the fender mount at the bottom of this pic (strut isn't connected to the hood yet in the pic obviously).

DSC00567.jpg

Ok, here's a write up. Its been quite some time since I have installed this mod, so these are not install picts, but are installed picts. Just use your imagination if you want pictures of it being installed.

Parts needed:
-2 Lift gate struts or the like. (it can vary depending on where you can find them or what kind you get, but I chose to use some that had eye holes at both ends for ease of install.)
-4 "L" brackets from a hardware store. I chose to use joist ties (ones used to build decks) because I can get them very easily from the supplies we have around the house. You can find these for around $3 anywhere that sells wood.
-4 grade 5 bolts (lengths and size may vary depending on your lift struts)
-4 nylock nuts for bolts
-4 regular nuts (to be used as jam nuts)
-12 sheet metal screws

*Use your imagination here*
You'll first want to start by removing the stock hood prop and mount and either disposing of it or keeping it in case you don't like the struts. Put a 2x4 or golf club or whatever you can find and prop the hood up at the height or angle that you want. I choose to make my hood open at a greater angle than stock because I hate hitting my head on the hood when working on it. After that, take 1 of the "L" bracktes, 1 strut, 1 bolt, 1 nylock, 1 jam nut and assemble them in this order onto the "L" bracket. Bolt, strut, jam nut, "L" bracket, nylock. You'll want to keep about 1/8" gap on either side of the strut when tightening the nylock and the jam nut togeather to allow for misalignment of the strut and to allow it to rotate. Here is what it should look like when assembled.
standard

Repeat this again for the other side. At this point you should have two struts with one "L" bracket assembled on each of them (don't do the other side yet, as you'll need the "L" bracket free so you can screw it into the hood. Here is the tricky part. Now its time to mount the struts to the vehicle (not the hood at this time). Place one end of one strut in the engine bay where you plan on attaching the strut to. You'll want to mount it not so far back that the strut wont be able to push the hood up and not too far forward so that the strut will not close. I mounted mine pretty flush whe the fire wall edge. You can see in the picture, kinda hard to explain where.
standard

To find that sweet spot will take a bit of trial and error. I just kinda mimed the arc that the strut would take and put it where I thought it was good. It worked for me, never had to move it. You'll want to measure from that point and make the other side as identical as you can or your hood won't close right. Next step is a bit harder than the previous. You'll want to find the compressed length of the shock. I found it easy enough to press the shock down and have someone else measure it. From the rear most "L" bracket, measure that distance toward the front of the jeep. Mark the spot somewhere on the fender and lower the hood and mark the hood at that same spot. That spot is where you'll want to drill and place your "L" bracket. Once you have your "L" bracket mounted on the hood, go ahead and use the remaining hardware and attach the lift strut to the "L" bracket. I used three screws on the hood "L" bracket because I didn't think 2 was sufficent to hold the bracket on. Just me though. I'm sure you could get away with two. Repeat for the other side. At this point, your hood should be able be supported by the struts alone and should look something like this.
standard

You'll want to test close the hood before you slam it shut and see if your struts will interfere with anything under the hood. my drivers side interferes with a wire harness, but its not that big of a deal and it just pushes the wires away.
standard

The passanger side doesnt hit anything at all.
standard

And thats it. Easy as can be. Here are some other pictures that you might find helpful, but I hope that the write up is sufficent. If not, just fill in the gaps with your imagination and good luck!

standard

standard

standard

I did a lot of guessing and trial and error to get the right one and to get it to lift up just right.
Jeep on!
--Pete

114152077.jpg

114152071.jpg

114152068.jpg

I did this as well a good four years ago. I was replacing my rear struts with new ones and took one of the old ones and adapted it to work on the hood on the driverside. I bought a couple of adaptors from a camper/trailer shop for under 7 bucks and away it went.

Works great.

Thanks guys, thats pretty much exactly what i wanted. Nice writeup there. I'll probably swing by the hardware store this weekend or next and napa and get the parts together and see if i cant get it up (teehee)

kenny

Do any of you guys have the part number for the strut itself?
Preferably one that doestn have the ball mounts..

I already got one wrong one...one from a 94 XJ rear...
thanks

Aaron

FELIX said:
If you go to Autozone, they have the ones you need w/ lifetime warranty. They are stock replacement. Once you replace them, they will open automatically. They are a little fun to install, but not too bad.

Rob

My autozone just told me they didn't have a lifetime warranty.

advance auto used to have a whole selection of them. With pressures and lengths listed. They have ones that aren't as strong as others so you can select just the right pressure. you could always buy one that is used to lift a hood from a different car. try the junk yard, better setup. The ones for the hatch are little bit of overkill don't ya think?

Back