• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

K&n filters = xtra hp?

kennzz05

basic dumbass
whats anybodys experiance with aftermarket filters do they really improve hp? what about that tornado thing that goes in the throttle body anybody got one of these things? 98 xj

from my experience yes after market filter do work and work well, i perfer K&N, TB spacers also work well but i dont know many people who have used the Tornados they look kind of chinsey

kennzz05 said:
whats anybodys experiance with aftermarket filters do they really improve hp? what about that tornado thing that goes in the throttle body anybody got one of these things? 98 xj
OK, you ready?

K&N replacement filter, PN 33-2018 = .5 HP & 3.3 lb-ft of torque, dynoed by 4-Wheel & Off-Road, June 1996.

I don't have a past article on conical filters and air tubes.

I have a replacement filter I bought back in 94. It's been cleaned twice every year, and it still works fine. I think it has paid for itself now.

ajpulley said:
OK, you ready?

K&N replacement filter, PN 33-2018 = .5 HP & 3.3 lb-ft of torque, dynoed by 4-Wheel & Off-Road, June 1996.

I don't have a past article on conical filters and air tubes.

I have a replacement filter I bought back in 94. It's been cleaned twice every year, and it still works fine. I think it has paid for itself now.

well within the accuracy of the dyno they used...

Horsepower gains are minimal, but throttle response (how quick the engine revs up) is much faster.

The Jeep I6 (I assume we are talkig I6) doesn't rev very high or use an enormous amount of air, stock is enough but somewhat restrictive. Open it up and it just spins up faster and gets a little louder. I like my K&N.

Agree. I noticed that I was quicker off the line after I put a K&N in the stock box. Can't vouch for any hp or millage increase though. Don't forget to seal the box well and put the sticker on the top in case you go somewhere else for an oil change.

I alternate between a K&N flat filter and a stock mopar/kn/purolator. The only reason I can tell the K&N is in there is the K&N is louder...

i have rustys airtube with a k&n cone filter, i can feel a lot better throttle response, and it doesn't come out of overdrive on hills anymore with 31's

x2

i have rustys airtube with a k&n cone filter, i can feel a lot better throttle response.

really made it peppy.

A quick test to see if you think you can feel the power difference. Just pull your existing filter and drive a short distance without a filter. If you can't feel a difference, then you won't feel it with the K&N.

spend your hard earned dough on a TB spacer.i got one from the states and its made the jeep a more "driveable" .i also removed the trumpet shaped air restrictor from the rubber air tube to get a bit more air.

I like my stock filters... cuz they filter dirt really well! K&Ns only filter dirt well when they are really dirty, and then you are defeating the purpose of the K&N. OEM replacements all the way for me. I want my new motors to last 200K like my old ones did.

My say is that is you drive on the street and are looking for a performance gain get a filter and a tube like the AEM set-up, if you are a once a month off roader use a KnN in the factory box, any more than that I say use paper.

Flip94ta said:
My say is that is you drive on the street and are looking for a performance gain get a filter and a tube like the AEM set-up, if you are a once a month off roader use a KnN in the factory box, any more than that I say use paper.

Good suggestion. If I didnt wheel, I would probably have one. But multiple times a month off road with a K&N kinda scare me. this is all my opinion though...

Back