• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Major electrical problem

trintek

NAXJA Forum User
1984 xj 2.5l

I was working on the last of my wiring today to get the jeep inspectable, and i ran into a new issue. I was cleaning contacts on the white 3-pin relay looking thing under the dash on the left hand side, i reseated it, it grounded out and made some nifty clicking noises from the engine compartment. Long story short, my headlights work, hazards work, running lights work. no turn signals, no horn, no starter, no gauges...

I tried switching the white relay with a spare one i have, no luck... checked all the fuses, nothing blown. No clue where to start under the hood, any ideas?

check the fusible link wires that are attached to the starter switch. SOunds like you grounded the headlight swtich. A picture of the "white relay thingy" would be great.

update:

I will grab a pic of the relay in a few mins. Took a test light, grounded it, probed the parking light fuse to make sure the test light was grounded, then disconnected the ignition wire from the fuse block and tested the terminal... no power. so whatever blew would be somewhere in the engine compartment i am assuming. do fusible links make a nice snap crackle pop sound when they go? and if so should i replace it with another fusible link or toss an inline fuse as the replacement?

not really. One of the few electrical things that worked properly on my 87 when I got it :)

heh i found it finally, it turned out to be the white relay i shorted earlier... *sighs* wired in a pushbutton for the horn, so no biggie. just trying to get it roadworthy enough for inspection... thank god lack of doors isn't a fail point :p

Back